How did you get over the fear of failure?

Derick Park
12 replies
Mentally, it's immensely difficult to build and show others what I'm building. I know MVPs are supposed to be simple, but how did you get over that hurdle of showing others what you're building - perfect or not?

Replies

Roberto Morais
I relate a lot. I don't think you get over the fear, but you learn to do what you need with it. 3 learnings I had that can help: - Know for a fact those first tries will be bad and the only way to improve is by building, showing and getting feedback. - Those scary "others" that are going to point fingers at our work doesn't exist. People will either ignore it or be supportive / offer feedback. - Choose one thing and start. Give yourself a timeframe to create and share. And only 5-10 minutes of editing / reviewing it, those are what stop us from sharing.
Derick Park
@robertomorais That last part is key. My takeaway from your comment is: don't overthink. Thanks Roberto for the advice :)
Csaba Zajdo
Fear of failure comes because you do not want to fail in front of people! Well, I and many people fear the same thing. But you canโ€™t let that stop you from doing what you do. Failure is natural. Everyone fails, but the key is to get back on your feet!
Derick Park
@zajdo_csaba Thanks for the words of encouragement! I wonder if anyone truly gets over the fear of failure. But you're right. The right attitude goes a long way in helping with that!
Software Guy (Aarvy)
Get over it is the only option, because the other option is wasting time overthinking..
Derick Park
@software_guy That's tough love but you're right. Thank you!
Software Guy (Aarvy)
@derick_park You're welcome, Derick.๐Ÿ˜Š
Eric Park
Hey Derick! Sometimes you just have to go for it. What do you fear most, failing but improving or building something people don't want for months?
Derick Park
@eric_park7 That's awesome. Thanks for sharing. Totally rather get it over sooner than later.
Philip Dam
You can show me your work anytime haha