How did you get over the fear of failure?

Derick Park
12 replies
Mentally, it's immensely difficult to build and show others what I'm building. I know MVPs are supposed to be simple, but how did you get over that hurdle of showing others what you're building - perfect or not?

Replies

Roberto Morais
I relate a lot. I don't think you get over the fear, but you learn to do what you need with it. 3 learnings I had that can help: - Know for a fact those first tries will be bad and the only way to improve is by building, showing and getting feedback. - Those scary "others" that are going to point fingers at our work doesn't exist. People will either ignore it or be supportive / offer feedback. - Choose one thing and start. Give yourself a timeframe to create and share. And only 5-10 minutes of editing / reviewing it, those are what stop us from sharing.
Derick Park
@robertomorais That last part is key. My takeaway from your comment is: don't overthink. Thanks Roberto for the advice :)
Csaba Zajdo
Fear of failure comes because you do not want to fail in front of people! Well, I and many people fear the same thing. But you can’t let that stop you from doing what you do. Failure is natural. Everyone fails, but the key is to get back on your feet!
Derick Park
@zajdo_csaba Thanks for the words of encouragement! I wonder if anyone truly gets over the fear of failure. But you're right. The right attitude goes a long way in helping with that!
Software Guy (Aarvy)
Get over it is the only option, because the other option is wasting time overthinking..
Derick Park
@software_guy That's tough love but you're right. Thank you!
Eric Park
Hey Derick! Sometimes you just have to go for it. What do you fear most, failing but improving or building something people don't want for months?
Derick Park
@eric_park7 That's awesome. Thanks for sharing. Totally rather get it over sooner than later.
Philip Dam
You can show me your work anytime haha
Divya
Reflect a lot