How did you come up with your startup's name?

Richard Gao
47 replies
How did you come up with your startup name? 🤔 https://evoke-app.com/ was named after some controversial guy from a debate server my co-founder frequented Was all he could think about while coding 😂

Replies

Elisabeth Was
We've developed a tool that allows users to explore, compare, and rank employers based on the workplace cultures they've created. Our product is called "Culturama ”, so the word "cultur(e)" with the suffix "rama" (as in "panorama") to evoke the idea of a panoramic view or display of diverse workplace cultures. During our brainstorming sessions, one of us came up with this name, and we all loved it as it effectively conveys the purpose of our tool.
Kostandin Angjellari
Ours was an acronym Quinvio -> QUick INteractive Video Information Output
Aaron O'Leary
Name of our app not sure, it just happened: Radiant Name of the AI DJ within the app: Rad because he's rad lmao
LisaKim
The founder of our company used to work in Entertainment and he would be in meetings where people would argue about who would make the best celebrity ambassador that fit the brand's image. He didn't think it was right for a couple of people in a meeting room to decide who was the "cutest", "most talented" etc. We started out as a big data platform for K-Pop fans. (Celebs is a short slang for celebrity in Korean) A few years later, he built an AI that analyzes the semantics of enormous user review data (including noisy data like Twitter) and generates real-time rankings :) Because the founding motivation is important, we never changed our name although we developed an Ai and branched out to different industries We actually launched 🚀 today! Check out Maimovie and show support 🙏
LisaKim
What is the full name of this controversial man?
Harley coates
by looking at competitors in the market.
dontgetrekt
@harley_coates always smart to check out what the crowd is using when looking to create a new product
Luka Dimitrijević
ChatGPT came up with Webthat 😅
Ryan Tando - Dezbor.com
Dezbor.com - its simply a mistyped and short version of dashboard How did I come up with that? just playing around in godaddy to find domain and experimenting with word "dashboard"
Carter Michael
Thought of keywords that revolved around clothing, closet, and then words that were related to styling/choosing/smart decisions, landed on vetted. Combined the two = Vetted Closet. Dumbing it down makes it sound like it was quick but it took embarrassingly long.
Karthik
fitdollar - there was a lot of back and forth in a jam session. mindbucket - the place where ideas come from
There are so many stories But my favorite is the first project that got me started. A childhood friend reached out to give word that we lost another friend from school days. It really enlivened us to stay close, but through letter writing, like we did when we were younger. So we went back to writing letters, & she collected little sayings that she found humorous in our correspondence. She really started expressing the desire to have a place to write together online, like a joint journal or even a book. It was a big leap of faith, but her encouragement was so inspiring to me. I build her a blogger blog, because she could not do it herself, so she would have an outlet to be creative online, as she is very artistic at home. Long story long, we did build the blog from something she had written as a DearHeart note, we called it "TheTenderTwo" We are still building it 4 years later, at a grandma kind of pace, but it continues to grow. I've had to migrate it recently, so it's still always a #learninginpublic project. It also was the starting point for all my other projects, all the other domains, blogs, journals, learning, everything I'm building online started from those letters. It's my most treasured project of all.
Kevin Woblick
For my latest project, Versionfeeds, it was two days worth of trying domain names. I actually wanted some name that fits the product, so it should include version, releases, RSS or feeds. After a long search and dozens of taken domains, I found versionfeeds.com.
dontgetrekt
I thought about creating an AI tool review website, so the name had to have AI in it. Now all I needed was a mascot to be paired with AI. I knew I wanted step by step instructions for the tools I list. Software wizard is defined: A software wizard or setup assistant is a user interface that leads you through a sequence of small steps, like a dialog box to configure a program for the first time. And that's literally what i'm building. A user interface that leads you through a sequence of small steps to use an AI tool for the first time. So I had to go with aiwizard. Low caps because i'm kind of lazy sometimes and didn't want to hit shift (or CAPS). And plus AI is kind of real life code magic imo. So aiwizard it had to be.
Magic Mike Paine
Ours came when we were on The Profit. We were invited as a vendor to help one of the companies he was helping. Our company name at the time was DirectMail.io, because we initially focused on direct mail. When we walked through all of the marketing options we offered, Marcus Lemonis said, “you guys need a better name. With everything you offer, it’s like a marketing box.” That day MarketingBox was born.
Peyt Spencer Dewar
Lyrist is short for Lyricist and two syllables sounds better 😅 https://lyrist.app
Naveed Rehman
I named my website downloadactivitybooks.com because thats literally what it is for i.e. downloading activity books
Saul Fleischman
I thought we would use our site for research and save hashtags in a collection, a "bag." So, we were TagBag.co first. We decided that people want the "right" tag, and changed it to RiteTag.com. Later, we grew to a family of social media marketing automation SaaS products, a "kit," and wanted to keep the "Rite" element, since we had a good bit of name recognition, hence, RiteKit.
Amal Abdullaev
Comfortable Finance -> Comfi
Omar Khaled
The "insula" is a portion of the cerebral cortex believed to be involved in consciousness.....
Bjarn Bronsveld
I was looking for words that relate to monitoring, then creating variations. I added the known -ly suffix, resulting in Spectately. Then someone told me, why not Spectate. And I was flabbergasted. So now I got Spectate, literally just a word straight out of the dictionary and I couldn’t be happier with the result. Also is my first ever trademark which is quite special to me personally 🙌