How did you come up with the name for your company?

Magic Mike Paine
13 replies
Sometimes it’s really challenging to land in a good name for your company. There are many things to consider: - Does my name say what I do or is it an empty vessel? - Is there a domain available with that name? - Can I turn this name into a good looking logo? Please share your insights nod unique stories on how your company name was decided.

Replies

Martin Hill
The name for our company was inspired by the core mission to connect people with innovative products, so we blended the concepts of discovery and technology to create ProductHunt, capturing the essence of what we do.
Julien Zmiro
Through tears and sweat :D Seriously it's always a hard (but enjoyable) process for me. I know everyone is saying "you shouldn't care about the name, you can change it later" but for some reasons I struggle a lot getting inspired to work on something that doesn't have a name or that has a name I know will have to change. And I think if I'm not inspired, chances are that I'll struggle inspiring potential teammates or users. So I actually think it matters a lot. And I did spend days finding the name of my last 2 startups (eesel and AskMore). It's not super structured but I often follow these rough steps: - Listing all the keywords I can think of that relate to the project (brainstorming with friends, looking at synonyms online etc). And I really mean "all" the keywords lol. - I also often build a list of "complementary words". They are not strongly connected to my project, but they are words that could qualify or decorate my project nicely. For instance, for AskMore some of these words were "more", "super", "air", "up", etc. - I then try to pick some of my favourite words from both lists (often the length of the word is a big factor) and combine them. - Then I spend a huge amount of time on iwantmyname.com to check domains availabilities. - When I find interesting candidates, I also do some googling to look at the keywords competition. - I then take the interesting candidates and start doodling some logos to see if I get a special inspiration from any of those. - Last part is getting feedback from friends to check the names that resonate the most with them.
Magic Mike Paine
@zmiro this is great insight. I too struggle with names and logos and want it right the first time. I often feel like I’m spending too much time on the name and not on the actual work.
Kate
Usually, such things come to mind spontaneously. The main thing is to approach the process with humor so that the name is memorable.
Apostolos Toptsis
Eros - The god of love in Greek mythology. Although it may sound like a dating app or something a bit more promiscuous, the idea of our company is to connect brands with influencers they love. We've implemented a heart into the logo design which resembles the like button on Instagram and other popular social media platforms. check it out: https://www.producthunt.com/prod...
Daniel Zaitzow
It was available and it was directly related to the description / usability of our platform.
Shabnam Katoch
I was sitting in a cab with my partner, I told myself I will have to find a name before the ride ends and boom!! The name occurred to me, btw we have launched today and the product is Bodt, would really appreciate some support.