How did you acquire your first 100 paying customers?

Sandy Kong
64 replies

Replies

Rohan Pathak
If you read $100M from Alex Hormozi, you'll know how to acquire the first one hundred being customers Most of it is contacting your close friends, colleagues and family members and not ask them to buy directly but ask them if they know somebody who might be interested in your product So you're not directly pitching them but asking them if they know somebody
André J
Launching soon!
By making an awesome product 😸
Sandy Kong
@sentry_co The growth potential of a product is fundamentally determined by its awesomeness. However, the challenge lies in how to initially create awareness among people about the product.
André J
Launching soon!
@sandy_kong For meehhh products. that's a challenge. For awesome products it is not. Just share it and people will like it so much that they will tell their friends. Organic marketing.
Relja Denic
We used our software for LinkedIn outreach and offered the first 50 people a beta lifetime price so they could test it out and see how it works. We gathered feedback for about a month from them and implemented features that they though were essential for them, and we then continued using LinkedIn to get new clients with the normal price.
Nic Neon
@relja_denic I would be interested in that LinkedIn sortware. I'm at the early stages of growign my business and I believe it could really help to leverage LinkedIn. Woud you please tell me, is this a proprietary inhouse product or can anyone buy/use it?
Evgeny Kotelevskiy
@relja_denic great stuff! What is the price of your product? I thought cold outreach efforts are worth efforts when selling some high-ticket products. What do you think of it?
Relja Denic
@evgeny_kotelevskiy It's $100 per month. In the beginning of the business, it's not true, cold outreach is the most cheap way to get first customers and get the word out for your product. Afterward, it depends on the cost of the sales team and the revenue they generate. Yeah for lower-ticket products it's probably not going to be the best way to get clients but it doesn't mean it can't work.
Relja Denic
@glenfish https://skylead.io/ we're launching 3.0 on 12th of October with new features :D
Nic Neon
@relja_denic awesome ill be watching for the release - i hope you offer a lifetime deal for the 3.0 release to PH peeps
Jake Harrison
Through my X, AI Daily Guy
Philipp Shay
@jakeharr you mean AI daily guy influencer?
Sandy Kong
@jakeharr I have followed you. May I know how to get listed/promoted on your X?
Waqas Khan
When I initially embarked on my journey with a one-time fee product, I had no budget available for marketing, not even a single cent! Consequently, I approached a friend and asked to borrow $100 so that I could utilize it for promoting my product on YouTube. Remarkably, I managed to secure the top 1st to 3rd positions on YouTube for several keywords related to my product. This achievement proved to be a turning point, as I consistently chose YouTube as my primary marketing platform and successfully acquired over 20,000 customers for my product. I developed my application entirely on my own, without hiring anyone or seeking the services of a designer. It was a simple software theme that I used to kickstart my sales efforts.
Waqas Khan
@arbonum Thanks got twitter ? i recently start to build lead generation application and sharing each journey posts on my X ;) let's connect
Sandy Kong
@novabyte Thanks for the sharing. Did you spend the $100 on collaborating with YouTubers or making your own videos? May I have the video/youtube channel as reference?
Waqas Khan
@sandy_kong I use that money to create promotional videos and bought some views to push it on recommendation.
Judith Amarachi 💙
@novabyte That's an inspiring story. Can you share the link to your product?
AmazingSylvia
By SEO and kol marketing
Sandy Kong
@sylvia_sheng Thanks for the sharing! Which influencers on which platform did you collaborate with?
abinesh kanagaraj
Out of curiosity, I too had a similar questions. Does anybody use tools such as LinkedIn Sales Navigator, Apollo.io, or ContactBird (for twitter)? Any guidance would be much appreciated.
Ken Ito 🍄
SEO and paid ads
Sandy Kong
@ken_itox Thanks for the sharing! SEO is a long-term process tho. Did you begin by using paid ads right from the beginning? How much budget do you have allocated for testing the effectiveness of the ads?
Ken Ito 🍄
@sandy_kong yea true SEO is a long term and hard slog - there are ways you can speed it up though - for example using expired domains or buy small "supporting" sites. That being said I have used paid ads (around $20 per day) in the beginning to test if the idea can attract paying customers.
Debajit Sarkar
By engaging with relevant communities where my target audience hangs out both offline and online. On the web , such as online forums, social media groups, blogs, podcasts, newsletters, etc. Offline would be networking events. Quite a few from Product Hunt because Product Hunt is a platform where tech lovers gather and support the newcomers in the industry. Being featured on it can boost your traffic and attract some new clients
Sandy Kong
@dsarkar Thanks for the sharing. I completely agree. Product Hunt is the ultimate traffic channel for new products to attract their first wave of users. How you have been prioritizing your efforts when it comes to utilizing online channels?online forums, social media groups, blogs, podcasts, newsletters, etc.
Debajit Sarkar
@sandy_kong I track the key metrics that indicate how well each channel is performing for my SaaS business, such as traffic, leads, conversions, cost per acquisition, customer lifetime value, retention rate, churn rate, etc. I also compare the results across channels and identify the ones that have the highest return on investment (ROI) and the lowest customer acquisition cost (CAC). Based on my analysis, I adjust my strategy and allocate more resources to the most effective channels. Right now the mix is something like this: content marketing (25-35%), SEO (15-25%), social media marketing (10-20%), PPC (15-25%), influencer marketing (5-15%), and email marketing (10-20%)
Tham (Sylvia) Nguyen
Product Hunt and after-launch effects thanks to free features in AI newsletters and directories
Sandy Kong
@sylviangth Thanks for the sharing! Are there any AI newsletters that you can recommend, which they can promote my product WorkGPT for free? I have listed my website on an AI Directories website and it has been consistently driving traffic to my site.
Timo Spring
Certainly, acquiring the first 100 paying customers is a crucial milestone for any business. For us, the journey was built on a multi-pronged approach: Leveraging Existing Networks: Initially, we reached out to our existing professional and personal networks to introduce our AI-driven health recommendation API. Word-of-mouth within these circles generated our first set of customers. Targeted Outreach: We identified key businesses that would benefit from our service and conducted direct outreach to decision-makers. We used LinkedIn and industry events for these efforts. Partnerships: Forming strategic alliances with businesses in adjacent industries helped us extend our reach. Our partners, in turn, introduced our services to their customer base. Content Marketing: We invested in producing high-quality, scientifically-backed content that not only provided value but also showcased our expertise. This attracted businesses looking for a credible solution. Free Trials: Offering a limited-time free trial gave potential clients a risk-free way to experience our capabilities. A significant percentage of these trials converted into paying customers. Customer Success Stories: Early adopters who achieved significant results with our platform were turned into case studies. These stories provided social proof and attracted more customers. Referral Program: A referral incentive program was introduced, encouraging existing customers to refer new businesses to us, further accelerating customer acquisition. By harmonizing these strategies, we were able to build a strong initial customer base, setting the stage for scalable growth.
Brian Hurst
@timo_spring I like this answer a lot. We've been calling it the "many spinning discs" but this is effectively the list we're working with right now to gain our first 100 paying customers.
Abidur_ai
This is a million dollar question for sure. My opinion: - subreddits - product hunt - newsletter - influencer marketing for reach - google ads with seo
Sandy Kong
@abidur_ai I am constantly amazed by the incredible value that Reddit brings as a traffic channel. It is often overlooked and underrated, but in my opinion, it is truly worth to spend time and effort with. Are there any newsletters that you can recommend, which they can promote my product WorkGPT for free?
Niko Germish
Basically, our first clients are coming through UGC platforms and influencer marketing. It's been quite effective so far
Sandy Kong
@nikogermish What was the UGC platforms you were using? Did you spend money on influencer marketing and how did you manage the budget?
Philipp Shay
I summoned them using a magic spell that combined SEO, social media sorcery, and a sprinkle of viral charm. 😉🔮✨
Philipp Shay
SEO + Influencers
Sandy Kong
@kinzarra Do you have advice on influencers bugeting?
Lauren Becker
Happy customers can be your best salespeople. We encouraged referrals through a referral program that rewarded both the referrer and the new customer.
Žiga Kerec
Through SEO and niche forums. We identified or target group and targeted them on Linkedin groups, through Reddit and also Producthunt.
Derrick
Troubled by this question. I've followed you and hoped to engage in further communication.
Kevin Lee
After the MVP version of the app went live, I got my first hundred paying users through google ads and Apple asa.
Gloria Howard
We reached out to LinkedIn users with our software and provided the first 30 users with a beta lifetime price so they could try it out and see how it functions. They provided us with comments for approximately a month, and we implemented the aspects they felt were most important. After that, we continued to use LinkedIn to bring in new clients at the standard rate.
Sandy Kong
@gloria_howard Thanks Gloria:) How can you effectively reach out to your target audience on LinkedIn?