During interviews, how do you test for speed of execution of a candidate?

I believe execution trumps ideas when you are at a very early stage startup. How does one test this skill during an interview when hiring for non-technical roles, especially for growth hires?

Replies

Max Korpinen
In terms of what type of questions one should use, there's a lot of evidence supporting especially two question types: behavioral and situational. Behavioral questions dig into the candidate's past experiences and discuss real-life examples of situations when the candidate has done something - in this case, solved some complex problem fast. Situational questions focus on hypothetical situations: "If X happens, what would you do?" And X can be whatever situation you expect your candidates to face on the job. We recently added an "Interview Guides" section to my startup's website (hireproof.io); you might find some inspiration from there if you want to check them out.
Jagadeash S
Probably give them a massive problem and see if they break it down into steps. Anyone can have a solution. But very few folks think about how to execute that solution from 0 -> n Summary -> See if they have an MVP mindset towards approaching a massive problem. Contenxt -> I haven't hired anyone in my life, but from things, I've learnt that's what I'd do!
Ole Andreson
personally during hiring I handover a practical task to the candidate. Like recently when I was hiring a web designer. So I handover him https://www.homesweethomesfl.com/ site. To make it better. While he spend an hour and showed me the results. On the basis of which I made decision.
Vishal Godhwani from Brew Money
@ole_andreson got it, so giving relevant assignments is the solution. This is what Jagadeash pointed out below as well. Thanks for sharing your thoughts Ole:)
Henry
Use Behavioral Assessments.
Amelia Charlie
Do some assessments then you will know about the competencies.