During interviews, how do you test for speed of execution of a candidate?

I believe execution trumps ideas when you are at a very early stage startup. How does one test this skill during an interview when hiring for non-technical roles, especially for growth hires?

Replies

Ole Andreson
personally during hiring I handover a practical task to the candidate. Like recently when I was hiring a web designer. So I handover him https://www.homesweethomesfl.com/ site. To make it better. While he spend an hour and showed me the results. On the basis of which I made decision.
Vishal Godhwani from Brew Money
@ole_andreson got it, so giving relevant assignments is the solution. This is what Jagadeash pointed out below as well. Thanks for sharing your thoughts Ole:)
Jagadeash S
Probably give them a massive problem and see if they break it down into steps. Anyone can have a solution. But very few folks think about how to execute that solution from 0 -> n Summary -> See if they have an MVP mindset towards approaching a massive problem. Contenxt -> I haven't hired anyone in my life, but from things, I've learnt that's what I'd do!
Henry
Use Behavioral Assessments.
Amelia Charlie
Do some assessments then you will know about the competencies.
Max Korpinen
In terms of what type of questions one should use, there's a lot of evidence supporting especially two question types: behavioral and situational. Behavioral questions dig into the candidate's past experiences and discuss real-life examples of situations when the candidate has done something - in this case, solved some complex problem fast. Situational questions focus on hypothetical situations: "If X happens, what would you do?" And X can be whatever situation you expect your candidates to face on the job. We recently added an "Interview Guides" section to my startup's website (hireproof.io); you might find some inspiration from there if you want to check them out.