Does raising kids require compromises in your professional life?

Daniel Engels
8 replies

Replies

Camille Adamczyk
Obviously yes. But it doesn't mean you can't success or get the promotion you deserve. You just have to be a organizational freak I guess...
Joanne Hurley
Well, that's a very difficult question to answer as it will depend on the company you work for, the individual parents and their view of the world and their roles (both parenting and work). Also, where you live and your access to affordable childcare. So there are many variables. In my case, I would say no. I work remotely as I did before being a parent for years for the same and different reasons, mainly for the flexibility it allows you in your life. I do have to be more time-efficient if I want to have as much quality time as I would like with my daughter and on the other hand, if I'm not, it just means I get work done after she's gone to bed as well. I work for somebody that allows me to have a flexible work structure because I deliver and other team members enjoy the same flexibility even if not parents. I work the same hours as before being a parent with the same energy. Flexible work benefits everybody and parents.
Daniel Engels
@joanne_hurleyv1 remote work changes a lot. How old is your daughter?
Joanne Hurley
@daniel_engels She is 2 and a half. I probably should also add that having a maternity/paternity break (mandated in the country I live) allows you go to back to work when you feel focused and 'ready'. It might have been different if I didn't have that.
Irete Hamdani
I would totally rephrase the question - What are your priorities at each stage in life and how do you balance between your professional aspirations and your family contentment?
Launching soon!
For me, as a mother, it takes courage and nerves to do parenting and job simultaneously. If you are determined enough, you can climb any mountain of success.
Chrystal Cienfuegos
Yes. Well, I'd say there are pros and cons. You have far less time, but more reason to find a way. It's possible and that's all that really matters.