Do you think that online games can increase teamwork in the workplace?

Elif Şahinduran
17 replies
According to Team Building Hub, 27% of team leaders listed “building a great team culture” as their #1 priority. Do you believe online games can help to achieve this goal?

Replies

Petr Derbikov
Yes, of course, I believe that any games that can connect you with your employees increase productivity. These can be both online and offline games. Online games bring remote or distributed teams together, allowing them to interact and work together in a virtual environment. These games can range from collaborative puzzle solving or task completion to competitive challenges that promote friendly competition and team building. For example, our employees often play Pandora's Box Arcade during their lunch break Offline games, on the other hand, can be conducted during team-building events or offsite retreats. These activities can include physical games, board games, or even problem-solving exercises that require teamwork and strategic thinking. By engaging in these games, employees can break down barriers, develop trust, and improve communication skills.
Anıl B. Ceylan
The increase of remote working nowadays made building team culture more difficult. I think the easiest way to succeed that playing online games and accordingly increase the engagement.
Elif Şahinduran
@anil_ceylan I think the same Anıl! Creating a friendly competition may also help co-workers to have fun and would help them to know and to understand each other even better.
Philip Snyder
I think that online games can increase teamwork in the workplace because they can help coworkers bond with each other and learn to work together more effectively. Playing online games can also help coworkers get to know each other better and build trust.
Elif Şahinduran
@philipsnyder Exactly! Especially for remote teams where you don’t get to see your co-workers face-to-face, getting to know each other more through playing games could be vital. Thanks Philip.
Jason Perez
Online games can help increase teamwork, if done correctly. Building a great team culture is a difficult thing to do in the best environments. How are great team cultures currently created?
Elif Şahinduran
@jason_perez4 it takes a lot on effort on both sides and also a great belief in the team you work for
Software Guy (Aarvy)
I think they will, because it needs lots of different ideas and perspectives which is hard to expect from a single person.
Steven Birchall
Any activities where members of the team actually actively engage in (versus just attending because they are forced) as a group will help build bonds that usually underpin a strong culture. Naturally it depends on the team and what the culture was previously, but assuming the team isn't disengaged or the culture is horrible, I do believe online games can definitely help.
Elif Şahinduran
@stevenbirchall Thanks Steven! Just like you said it depends on the team but trying to create a healthy engagement through games can be useful
Michael Flux
To expand a bit on what @stevenbirchall is saying with people being forced - these days, especially at larger companies you see HR departments trying to push 'team building' activities onto the employees in an effort to boost productivity/employee morale and whatever else they read in the latest motivational post they saw on LinkedIn the prior week. What is consistently is forgotten about, is that a large chunk of your employees are there just for the pay check, and any activities forced on top of them, on top of the work they are already doing will only push them closer to quitting. In all likelihood they are not bad employees, often they are some of your best performers, and they just want to be able to get to work (or turn on the computer at home), do their work in peace without the artificial niceties and mingling that are expected from HR, and then at the end of the day clock out and spend time on their own hobbies and passions. That is all to say, above all, treat your employees like they're adults. Don't micromanage every minute of their day, don't force them to play games or participate in activities not directly related to the job. If you want to treat your employees like children, then open up a kindergarten. Invite them to activities, but making them mandatory will only build resentment.
Elif Şahinduran
@stevenbirchall @michaelflux Thanks Michael! Like you said the people working are adults who already have a lot going on with their lives. Thus forcing them to do something that adds to this pile of responsibilities could result in resentment or burnout. That’s why companies should promote these ideas and should encourage the workers, not force them to participate. Creating a healthy option for the workers who want to have a fun moment with their co-workers.
Emily Harris
Sure, it's a great idea! I think playing word games would be awesome. First of all, it's really fun. Second, word games are the best way to keep your brain fit. Besides, there is no age limit on these games, anyone can play and enjoy them. You can use this tool https://word-finder.com/words-th... for your games. Give it a try and you will like it!
Apk Hobby
Play free online games at CrazyGames, the best place to play high-quality browser games. We add new games every day. Have fun! https://mangoapk.com/
Al Sapone
I think you shouldn't play any games at your workplace. Otherwise, the boss will see that you have a lot of free time and will fire you as a redundant element.
Lourdes Perdon
Agree. If there is much of free time at work, instead of playing games, try to ask for more responsibilities. As least this is what I always do. I work at work and play games at home here https://fnfmod.online/ together with my family. All has its own place in my life. So I am sure that should be the same for you.