Do you think that Build in Public can help the product grow faster?

Dariush Abbasi
9 replies
You probably know people on Twitter who publish their product development process with #buildinpublic, do you agree with this method?

Replies

Daniel Stuski
I can't say how it helps in the long run, but it definitely helped me get my first 20-30 users who keep constantly giving me great feedback.
Luc Fernandez
That's for sure! By building in public you: - Attract people who are interested in your product - Build an audience - Get feedback from your followers so you can build better features
Daniel Zaitzow
@luc_fernandez I think its also a double edged sword in some ways. If there are copetitors farther along who have comparable products you also run the risk of them thinking: You're just too early to trust The bugs are impacting the User Experience UI not as flushed out as users would like it to be to feel what they need to Diluted value or perceived value of the product not being entirely flushed out I think it is amazing to build in public but there needs to be a distinct baseline of a core product that people can really get behind before you start your public build journey.
Luc Fernandez
@dzaitzow Very interesting point Daniel! I agree with you. It's important to remember that build in public is still a marketing technique: it's all about making your product desirable to your audience. Being transparent and sharing your story contribute to this, but you mustn't share sensitive information that could be perceived negatively. It's about finding the right balance 🙌
Daniel Zaitzow
@luc_fernandez 100% walk the line and understand theres no perfect solution - Hindsight is always 20/20.
Marlene Murray
Yes, building in public can help a product grow faster by fostering trust, obtaining feedback, building a community, generating buzz, and networking. However, its effectiveness depends on the specific circumstances and the execution of this approach.
Laura Taylor
Recognize probable objections in order to present a fair viewpoint. For instance, some would contend that excessive sharing exposes a product to knockoffs or may not be appropriate for all products.
Lynne Mitchell
"Building in Public" can certainly help a product grow faster by fostering transparency, trust, and community engagement, while also providing opportunities for valuable feedback and networking. It's a strategy that aligns well with the digital age and the desire for authenticity and connection in product development.
Rosetta Riley
Yes. It can be a valuable approach for certain types of products and audiences.