Do you think Bing has a chance to challenge Google?

Aaron O'Leary
85 replies
Bing, since its release, was never taken seriously, I feel, at least not when compared to Google. Now with ChatGPT implemented and the potential to further integrate OpenAI into the Bing-sphere, do you think it has a serious chance to challenge Google?

Replies

Julian Green
I would bet on the company whose primary focus is on Search and AI.
Oleksandr Koreniuk
No, it has no chance. AI still struggles to cope with structured data analysis so the integration of ai as your qa assistant wont be more than a toy. However UI is cool, sometimes in the future backend would be replaced with AGI, and that will be a real game changer.
Fabian Maume
I was actually asking the same question in SEO topic: https://www.producthunt.com/disc... Getting an answer from ChatGPT is a different experience than a standard search: you need to write a full sentence rather than just a few keywords. So for many queries, I think that google will stay relevant. My main questions is: how will this impact the SEO industry?
Adam Lui
@fabian_maume this is not true, for example if you type 'wwii date' it will give you this: 'World War II (WWII) began on September 1, 1939, when Germany, under the leadership of Adolf Hitler, invaded Poland. The war ended on September 2, 1945, when Japan officially surrendered after the United States dropped atomic bombs on the Japanese cities of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.' If you use my plug-in DuckDuckGPT (featured 2 days ago) it will even show it in search sidebar: So clearly the query experience is same, but engine more powerful
Fabian Maume
@adamlui Nice plugin. BTW: you can embed link to your product in your answer by using the key "!"
Steven Sun
@fabian_maume I don't think it will impact the SEO industry, but it may bulid a new industry, AISO, hah, because ChatGPT may not provide correct answer but a understanding from robot.
Deniz Can Ilgın
it depends, it is hard to change people's habits. But in the overall view, ChatGPT and Google have different audience segments.
@denizcanilgin I still know people in Tech who haven't heard of ChatGPT. I haven't heard of ANYONE who uses bing still.
Morgan Lucas
@denizcanilgin @travis_page Bing's one user here 🙋🏽‍♀️ It gives me gift cards in exchange for my search data. I'll use Google sometimes, but it's only taking my data under the guise of a 'better user experience'.
@denizcanilgin @runtcpip I have duckduckgo (bing search API) set as my default search engine on my phone and the search results are often so useless that I type in Google.com in the search browser.
Marat
@denizcanilgin @travis_page I'm always surprised by how many people, who work in tech, don't actually follow tech or use a lot of it in their personal lives.
Kwei Jones Quartey
@denizcanilgin @travis_page @runtcpip Gift cards!! Seriously? Well maybe I should switch!
Krishna Kumar
While Microsoft spent millions on Bing, they really did not have focus on the product. Their focus was on the operating system, Sharepoint, SQLServer and Office. Investment into OpenAI has been a big break for them, but will Bing benefit? I see a lot of OpenAi stuff getting into Office 365, SQLServer and even the Edge browser. In other words, Bing search engine may yet again get left behind. Even if the functionality gets integrated, the usage and focus will suffer.
Ioan Profiroiu
@kkumarkg Yes, totally agree. For example we just built a web extension on Google's search using OpenAI's capabilies. If you wanna check out how we're breaking the browsing unproductive habbits, here our PH campaign: https://www.producthunt.com/post...
Billy Oxley
No Bing’s UX is still laughably bad.
I think that Bing have a great potential but people tend to stick with what they are already used to and that would be Google.
Nadezhda Babushkina
Hello Aaron! I’d be suggesting that by supporting ChatGPT in the Bing Microsoft strengthens its position within Office line of products for enterprise (where Edge is a part of the package). Google’s position with office productivity is not too bad but the company is really having a hard times keeping up with the pace of competition. As to overall search space, I’d not be putting to much on ChatGPT Edge vs Google search, even though the quality of search by Google has been falling for years.
Tregg
I think the bifurcation and competition is really exciting, but it's going to take a lot to break consumer habits even if their search is much better.
Jacob Jolibois
Genuinely, no I don't think so. Sure, Bard was a bust because it was released so quickly but Google has... - Dominant market share with Chrome for guaranteed distribution - Deal with Apple to be the default search engine on Safari which is the second largest browser after Chrome - 25 years of iteration to perfect their search algorithms which the LLMs are trained on which means better results - the term "Google" is equated with "search" in the zeitgeist. No matter how hard you try, that's gonna take a while to switch in people's minds. Bing has a few aces up their sleeves too though. I wrote about all of it here: https://www.makingproductsense.c...
Danny Bluestone
With Google, I see Google Bard augmenting and supporting its existing legacy PageRank model where Google will provide an alternative or updated 'view' of its homepage so users can search (normally) or 'chat' to to the conversational user interface (CUI). Sundar Pichai has already shared the vision for this: https://blog.google/technology/a... Besides early adopters, I think the majority of users will continue to use Google as is. It will take a few years for the majority of users to interact in a more conversational way of course. Even when using the new CUI AI within Bard, featured and rich snippets will appear displaying featured product pages and content from Websites. Key to success for Web Designers, Developers and SEO gurus will be effective schema, markup and of course unique integrity and credibility of content (e.g. sources like the BBC that are highly regarded and have multiple inbound links). Additional 'Lighthouse' type indicators around sustainable and accessible content will also play their part in what Bard priorities and does not. Naturally rich media will be key to all of this and this is where bots will struggle and will ultimately be complimented by Website data and media. Its worth considering that many users search for content and information in a more visual way and chat will not suit their needs. With Bing, Microsoft and ChatGPT, I am unsure if they will be able to compete with Google as the average user will prefer to stick to what they know. My concern with Microsoft is how they traditionally try and shoehorn applications that they acquire. If you look at Skype for example, it was all very promising but lacked an innovative integration into its other products.
If ChatGPT's free plan works without limitations, Bing will certainly challenge Google's search engine (specially given the way the Bard presentation went).
Arpit
Considering google have control over andriod and bing have windows. It is going to be interesting to see how things will playout. I am still in bing side to atleast change the share.
Abhijeet Kumar
If Google doesn't bring an AI-enabled chat within a few weeks, let's say a month, Bing will take some more of the market share. It won't pose a threat any soon, though. I've already switched to Edge+Bing a year back, and I don't miss a thing. Except for occasional in-depth searches, where I need more data, I go to Google (even DuckDuckGo) but for the rest of the day, I'm with my Windows default.
Dimitar Dimitrov
Still early to say conclusively but Google has already issued "red alert"
Vitalii Fedorchenko
It seems most disruptive effect is not the ChatGPT technology itself (LLM), but the idea that Google is not a god of search and ads (the one and for all times) that is too big and powerful to fall. ChatGPT itself is not a replacement for google search in any way, but now a lot of people start thinking about a better alternative. Real barbarians that can destroy Google Ads Empire are only about to born, but now they have a chance to grow. This may be Bing, but this can be a totally new face with a different business model (like, say, Kagi) and/or technology (where LLM will be only a part of brand new search technology).
Justin Hill
Hard no. Thinking that Bing will replace google because it has integrated AI based chat bot into results is entirely overlooking why google is and has been superior in search. Flat out, Bing’s shortcomings in search are not related to its ability to respond to people’s queries or questions accurately.
Carter Michael
I think from a branding standpoint alone it's not conceivable. They can definitely take a niche sub-section of searchers, they already have some. But to actually take a large junk away from Google, I don't personally think so. Bing is at the end of jokes and judgement. Think about the green-text judgement that Android has because of Apple's iMessage. "If I see a green text pop up, I'm not talking to them" It's been said and will continue to be said. The same goes on in my opinion with Bing. "Google it" is a common phrase for finding out information, I don't know about you but whenever someone's replaced Google with an alternative search engine, it's always made me do a double take. "Just Yahoo it", "Just Bing it" It feels odd like something's off. It's also only happened about a handful of times in my whole life. So much so that it sticks out. For that reason alone I don't see Bing really challenging Google. That's just my opinion though and it's been great to read what everyone else has had to say so great question @aaronoleary
Elias Fares
I think they should have rebranded and launched with a new name. It's hard (or it takes a very long time) to change people's perception of a brand or name. People like ChatGPT and dislike Bing.
ᗰᗩ᙭ ᒍ.
@elifares Ya rebranding would defiantly make it feel fresher...
Ömer
I registered for waitlist. I’m a Google user but I support the diversity. I’ll switch to bing when I got my invite, I always love Microsoft products