Do you think BARD will overtake ChatGPT?

Bart Drijver
108 replies
Do you think BARD will take over ChatGPT because it's part of the Google ecosystem and will be integrated and adopted quicker by the mass? Or does ChatGPT already have a considerable headstart?

Replies

Daksh
I think it depends a lot on how it's rolled out. If Google rolls out Bard without an unpredictable waitlist like Microsoft then Microsoft will be in deep trouble because as it stands Google has a huge share in the market already
Ruben Lozano
Hello, I think they are going to target different users. Most of the people that I know (no tech people or no startup people), don't know much about ChatGPT and how to use it. I think that audience is where Google Bard can reach. All the best,
Adam Lui
@rubenlozanome This is so true, which is why I believe my DuckDuckGPT got featured today (people just want to use it after hearing all the buzz). It gives me idea to build GoogleGPT next, too!
Vijay Singh Khatri
@rubenlozanome In that, I think people know about it and using it for data to day basis their content and marketing work. Even I have seen a few ed-tech founder who are using it simplify their common dev problem,.
Aaron O'Leary
I wouldn't underestimate Google but at the same time, OpenAI have the backing of Microsoft and definitely have a headstart at least in terms of user adoption. I want to put my money on OpenAI to be honest.
Adam Lui
@aaronoleary OpenAI is definitely going to beat Google. They went through 3 iterations to land on GPT-3 as the finely tuned engine that not only uses massive datasets but human labelers to produce output without discernable imperfection. Bard's launch is a testatement to this, it received negative headlines for the inaccuracy of its output
Bart Drijver
@aaronoleary @adamlui It still has some work to do indeed, but knowing Google I think they'll catch up quickly
Saloni Jain
I highly doubt it. ChatGPT is already being used by many users & people have made a habit of going to ChatGPT. It's pretty challenging to change people's habits.
Bart Drijver
@saloni_jain10 @adamlui I think ChatGPT is mainly adopted by tech people/younger generations instead of the mass right now so I think Google can still earn a big market share if they roll it out to the mass because a lot of people are in the Google ecosystem already
Saloni Jain
@adamlui @bartdrijver97 I completely agree. It will work just fine if they can find the correct market fit in terms of audience apart from tech/content (or the younger generation) where ChatGPT is already a hero.
Key
I have not tried the Bard yet, but ChatGPT is a marvellous product. Bard would take over it but it has a long way to go.
Adam Lui
@new_user__01820236624ba7b772706a9 ChatGPT is already the fastest growing app of all time, so even if/when Bard catches up to the technology of GPT-3, OpenAI will be like the Google of chat AI by then
Bart Drijver
@new_user__01820236624ba7b772706a9 I agree that it's a marvelous product! Bard will have some catching up to do but I think Google will make it work somehow
Lydia Cohen
Reports say that Google's Bard would be able to provide fresh, up-to-date responses while ChatGPT would, unfortunately, be limited to information relating to events, not beyond 2021 (ChatGPT's current data training cut-off).
Shreesh
@lydia_cohen But I guess using Bing powered with ChatGPT will solve that issue of providing latest info.
Adam Lui
@lydia_cohen this is not true, those reporters are wrong, for example type 'when was wwii' and it knows the exact years
Business Marketing with Nika
I think that many people get used to Open AI and their ChatGPT. They were first. I think that there should be something on TOP offered to change my mind.
Aksh Porwal
Currently at the time ChatGPT has marked its place making it difficult for BARD to overtake but with time i guess BARD can give a competition to ChatGPT.
Adam Lui
@aksh_porwal this will be quite difficult since ChatGPT is the fastest growing app of all time (not just for AI) so by the time BARD catches up in tech, they will be facing a Google-like monopoly (which it already is really)
Ridhi Gunjan
I think it's time for a new player. So my hope is no, ChatGPT will win. :)
S.N.Dineshan
I couldn't be sure about either. My concern is about content creators and how they will be affected. We all know search engines use content without the consent of its creators, but the chatgpt and bard will take it to another level.
Simon
@dineshan_sithamparanathan Agree! But I think content creators that create rather than using AI will find an audience from a flight to quality that AI will never match. The masses eat at McDonald's but there will always be a place for the gourmet burger joint.....
Alex Makarski
it's anyone's guess who's going to come on top on this race but it's exciting that for the first time, there is a player able to challenge Google's dominance in search
Alex Makarski
@bartdrijver97 yes! We also need to remember Google wasn't the first search engine... or even the 10th. All these Altavistas and AOLs and Infoseeks and a bunch of others no one remembers anymore. Right now we're talking about Google and Microsoft/ChatGPT as if these were the only options but I wouldn't dismiss a possibility of some obscure NLP/LLM startup quietly building a superior product that will eventually crush both of them. And maybe it will come out of a place like India
Reha Santiago
I read somewhere that BARD didn't perform well in its demo. So rooting for chatgpt for now but you can't say cause it's Google
Heleana Grace
I think BARD has some potential to surpass ChatGPT but it will take time. Many people are already actively using ChatGPT (or if they're not using it, they're definitely aware of its existence) and I can tell from my own experience that it's hard to convince people to switch to a new tool once they've grown accustomed to the first one. Not to mention OpenAI is surely aware of their competition, so they will most likely come up with all sorts of improvements and updates to stay ahead of the game. It will be an interesting competition, that's for sure. 😄
Bart Drijver
@heleana Convincing someone to switch is challenging indeed. I think their biggest advantage will be that BARD will be integrated in the Google ecosystem that a lot of people are using already. It will definitely be an interesting competition!
Damdi Pawłowski
After failing during the presentation, it seems even if it performs the same, MSFT will naturally take over quite a portion of search revenue, since Google must fight to keep up margins, while MSFT can compete with price. And it's the first one to launch it meaning many of millions of ppl using ChatGTP will try it at least due to curiosity.
Alien Intelligence
The success of a language model like BARD or ChatGPT will depend on various factors such as quality, ease of use, and level of support. While being part of the Google ecosystem might give BARD an advantage, ChatGPT has already established itself as a highly capable model with a large user base. The outcome is uncertain and depends on the ability to meet user needs and provide value
Rish
I'm guessing Bard is not going to be any different from Bing powered ChatGPT. If Google takes too long to launch, they will likely lose a lot of their customers. People will not quickly switch back because now there's no advantage point to do so.
Saul Fleischman
I think it is a matter of which company we trust for their API. Many of us still remember being burned by Google for giving us APIs that they soon sunset. You learn to not invest time building on someone else's land.