Do you record short GIFs of your product? 🕹

Neri Raanani
8 replies
I would love some advice! As a way to support the written help guides, I'm creating short GIFs that illustrate key product actions. Do you have any suggestions on how to easily create high-quality GIFs? I currently use the built-in screen recording in my MacBook, then edit the clip in Imovie, and then use EZgif to convert the mp4 into a GIF file. There must be a better way?

Replies

I've found Cleanshot X perfect for capturing anything on my screen. Full screen, areas, windows, videos, gifs, scrolling, etc. It does everything. I've not found better. For gifs and videos, select the part of the screen you want to record and away you go. Trim, then save; done.
Neri Raanani
@ianmc I'll check it out, thanks! Can I save the clip as a GIF file straight from Cleanshot X or do I need to convert it to a GIF file in an external app?
Erica Chiang
Call it old school, but the way that we do it is EZGif and do something like a flipbook animation -- we launched recently and have a few gifs that we did that for using Canva and it worked really well! https://www.producthunt.com/prod... -- let me know if you have any questions about any of those images
Neri Raanani
@erica_chiang It looks really good, thanks for your advice! And congrats on your launch btw, what a success! 🚀