Do you prefer your tools as desktop apps or as web apps?

Laurentiu Ciobanu
46 replies
A lot of tools have both a desktop and a web version (Discord, Whatsapp, Microsoft Office/Teams, etc.). Which one do you prefer using the most and why?

Replies

Leon Vinny
I must say, I love my apps! I think the main reason i love apps is the easy access i have to it at all times! I feel it just makes me that 1% extra efficient!
Codrut Rotaru
Hmm, it depends; I use Discord and Teams in desktop because they have additional features and quality of life is better than the web version, but some apps like Whatsapp I use in the web.
Laurentiu Ciobanu
@codrut_rotaru Whatsapp seems to be in the same category as Teams and Discord. Why use the web app?
Livia Burbulea
Such a tough question! It's like choosing one favorite child... Can one like and use them both just as much? πŸ€”
Laurentiu Ciobanu
@livia_burbulea I can choose :) Usually desktop.. it keeps the clutter out of my browser :)
Livia Burbulea
@laurentiu_ciobanu I see your point and I agree with you. Mostly because I tend to use mostly web apps... which makes me a hoarder with 40 tabs open on a daily basis. Ups? :D
Adrian Steriopol
Great question, @laurentiu_ciobanu ! πŸ™ When it's light work I use web app, when it's hard work I use desktop app. For me it depends on the context, but I use desktop apps the most. Cheers!
Alexandru Ifrim
Gotta go desktop. Makes life easier. Go native, or go home.
Laurentiu Ciobanu
@aifrim really native or electron native? :))
Adriana Virlan
Web apps forever. I don't like to install apps, to waste time & to update them once in a while.
Octavian Codrea
I personally like individual apps. Even though a lot of the apps I use daily are made using frameworks like Electron, and the difference between web and desktop apps shrinks every day, I still feel like things are somehow more organized by having an individual window for every app, instead of a lot of tabs in the same browser window.
Nico Spijker
Desktop app for the win if I use it on a daily basis! Having too many tabs open always feels so unproductive.
Savian Boroanca
The desktop app comes with many extra features and is (most of the time) lighter.
Daniel Barta
Whichever you choose, booth have flaws. For me desktop apps seems to be more stable and optimized. When you need better performance native desktop app kicks in!
Mirel BiΘ›oi
I think it depends. It's nice to have the comfort to have everything in your browser, but usually the bigger apps, especially the complex ones, feel better on the app. The experience is smoother. For example I love that I can use Whatsapp on web, but with discord it feels more natural on the app, because it's more complex and the overall experience is better when you use more of its features.
Alexandru Frentescu
Seems I'm one of the few to go with Web apps
Cosmin Nicolae
For me it's Web all the way. I only have slack and Firefox on my start tab at work, but I do understand that for some specialized apps (CAD as an example) that is not possible.
Iscu Andrei
Desktop, 100%. Take advantage of all hw resources, manage windows the way you want, update the app wgen you want or even have multiple versions, I could go on for days without even getting into the downsides of the browsers.
Philip Snyder
Prefer Web app most of the time - Desktop for Slack and Discord though. Really depends on the app I guess
Laurentiu Ciobanu
@philipsnyder yeah :) i would say it's most likely to go for the desktop app if it's available and easy to setup.
Rachel Wong
Usually web apps unless I really really really love the product
Laurentiu Ciobanu
@rywong hm. why do you think this is the case? Is it too hard to setup the desktop apps?
Alissa Anne Pagano
Desktop apps are generally a little better in my experience, so that's the preference (I say, while being the marketer of an eBook web app...). But sometimes web apps are more convenient and it's easier to implement gentle hacks πŸ€” Since you can use the browser for augmentations Really the most frustrating thing, web or desktop, is when there's no/limited offline support!
Laurentiu Ciobanu
@alissaannepagano there are also extensions for Chrome (and the other browsers), but i kept them out of this discussion because it would complicate the matter :))
Cagri Sarigoz
I prefer web app if links frequently shared from that tool. For example when someone shares a Notion link, I don’t want to go to browser first, then click on the browser popup to go to the desktop app. Otherwise I prefer Desktop apps.
Laurentiu Ciobanu
@cagrisarigoz some apps have deeplinks, and you don't have to go to the browser first... but it depends on the platform/app i guess.
Harshavardhan Reddy
As most of the time I will be using Desktops for work it makes it more convenient to use a desktop version. other reason BIG screen more visibility and ease of access.... 70% DESKTOP 30% MOBILE
Laurentiu Ciobanu
@harsha_vardhan01 so you use desktop apps more than apps on you phone? Or i didn't get that right?
Michael Flux
Desktops apps, IF they are actually built for the desktop using the native frameworks. If it's an electron app, why even bother, juts open up the website which will consume less system resources.