Do you believe in the phrase "Slow and steady wins the race"?

Qudsia Ali
42 replies
Remember? that slow and steady wins the race. You've probably heard the term Slow, but steady wins the race, which means that doing anything slowly but skillfully is better since it helps to avoid mistakes.

Replies

Roberto Morais
I do. It's healthier and make it easier to be consistent and persistent. Besides that I like to do small bursts of fast work once in a while, like a 2-3 days crunch to deliver a new feature or MVP.
Launching soon!
@robertomorais That's indeed a great way to work. Some fast work days and some slow days to be consistent.
Nico Muoio
Unfortunately, I do agree.
Alex Robinson
There is definitely some truth to the phrase "slow and steady wins the race". In many cases, it is better to take your time and do things right, rather than rushing and making mistakes. However, there are also cases where speed is important, and you need to be able to move quickly to achieve your goals.
Denis Pimenov
There is a saying in Russia: "If you hurry, you will make people laugh." This means that if you are in a hurry, you will do the job the wrong way or not do it at all.
Oscar Wehbe
I wouldn't ever change the speed at which I work because of what the competition is doing. I believe that's how you ensure you're doing your best work.
Rahul Patel
Absolutely, I agree. Being calm and consistent will give you great long-term results.
Tanya Kapoor
Hi @qudsia_ali Slow and steady definitely do not win the race alone. Slow, steady, and deliberate wins the race when punctuated by occasional sprints. It's not enough to make daily, measured progress on your work if it's not deliberate progress. If you're not moving in a meaningful direction, then failure is a likely outcome. What are your thoughts?
Launching soon!
@tanya_kapoor Completely agree with you. Efforts put in the wrong direction are just a waste of time.
Rich Watson
No, but I do believe quality takes time.
Jessica L Williams
Yep I agree and believe in the phrase. Sometimes it's easier to take things slow and be consistent versus trying to make big jumps and leaps. Especially as someone building something on the side of a day job. One phrase I keep reminding myself of is "slow growth is still growth".
Aruna Chawla (she/her)
I think being too slow can kill you as well. Be moderately mobile towards the goal. Don't over speed, and don't drive too slow either. The challenge can also be being so slow that you're almost stationary — that doesn't do anyone any good. Too fast will anyway need to break on red lights :)
David Tedaldi
I believe there's a massive missed component in that sentence, "Slow and steady wins the race if this builds up your momentum"! Just going slow and steady gets you nowhere, it's the momentum you gain that takes you far. I 100% agree that it's very hard to create momentum going fast and scrambling, so slow and steady is the way to build momentum. What do you think @qudsia_ali?
Vasileios Karvelis
Yeap, every time we rushed, there was a disaster in so many areas. Consistency and patience are the key in my opinion.
I think Fast and steady will beat Slow and steady : ). Steady alone won't win you the market these days, the competition is way too fierce.
Launching soon!
@djteknokid I have to agree with you. To withstand the competition, you have to keep up with the pace of the growth of the world today.
Devyani Gupta
In a startup? definitely not. I do think it's not all about growth - at some points, you need to really focus on improving the product and user feedback before you put your foot to the pedal. But that doesn't mean you're slowing down - it just means you're changing course. But you always have to be moving forward and making progress as quickly as possible
Richie
the tortoise always beats the hare
Edward G
I do. I've learned the hard way more than a few times that rushing and multitasking are not just stressful, they are hugely inefficient and you don't end up any farther along than if you did things more meticulously. I compare it to driving on the highway through traffic and seeing that one car that furiously weaves through traffic but they haven't actually gone forward at all.
Arpan
Yes, I completely agree with that!
Tariq Waseem
Its good, but pretty old. Every one should be steady, but not necessarily slow.