Do short URL's effect SEO? (with different domain)

Rich Watson
17 replies
So I've been reading up on SEO lately and been trying to find answers to this question. In short I've read that it doesn't have any negative effects, but the only way it's improves SEO if it uses 301 redirects. But my main question is if it's still the same for using short URL's that are a different domain? Our domain is thetradehub.net but we trhub.net as a short URL for when users copy blog posts, or profile links.

Replies

Jessica White
Not at all time. Whether you are looking for an Ecommerce Solution, Marketing Automation tool, Payment Gateway Solution, or VOIP Solution to take your business to the next level our in-depth guides can help.
Jaroslaw Pidburskyj 🇮🇹Ï🇺🇦SEO
Thetradehub and trnub to Google would be listed and classed as two different domains, so for your SEO it will impact on it. It’s like starting again from scratch. You should have just purchased just "tradehub" and omitted the "the" as "the" is classed as a "stop word". Stop words don’t rank very effective with Google, great making up a sentence. I have noticed that you can have a domain length as large as 15 characters but keep keywords within and leave stop words in senetences. Hope it helps
Rich Watson
@noproseo tradehub isn't available on any decent domains So what I was reading about short URL's and 301 redirects, is only using the domain name to create the short URL? not a separate domain?
@richw Hi Rich, I went to WHOIS and looked into buying TRHUB.NET. Someone bought it, was it you, then you will start as if your starting out from new at zero. I also checked the DA value which came back as DA7, so you can’t have trhub.net if someone has bought it can you. Hope it helps PS I looked into hubtrade.net and that is available
Rich Watson
@noproseo i own thetradehub.net & trhub.net we use trhub.net for short URL's for example; user profile = thetradehub.net/user/rich short url = u.trhub.net/rich stock info = thetradehub.net/stock/aapl short url = s.trhub.net/aapl I was reading some guides/articles, and they mentioned that short URLs can be good for SEO's so long they use 301 redirects. Does this only apply to short URLs for the same domain name? (I.e. thetradehub.net/blog/my-long-blog-title-here-about-nothing vs thetradehub.net/blog/blog-on-nothing <-- is this what it's referring to?) https://tech.co/news/5-ways-url-... https://www.hubledigital.com/blo... this just caught my attention about indexing short urls, haven't read it yet. https://betterdocs.co/blog/index...
@richw Hi Rich when they talk about shorteners they mean using your domain like: thetradehub.net/a-free-social-trading-app-where-retail-traders-of-stock-collaborate/ better this way thetradehub.net/social-traders-stock-app/ short and to the point eliminating stop words like "a" and "of" stop words don’t rank wel on google. Your domain name is just fine to use, it falls within the 15 character length at 11. What you need to do is your keyword research because you didn’t do it, you also need to review up on, watch and read on "how seo works" as it’s your Google tuner. People who have very large [over 15 characters] domains might use bit.ly/ for shorteners, look at Twitter they use them there too.
Rich Watson
@noproseo Yes that's exactly what I'm talking about, bit.ly and twitter's short link are perfect examples of what i'm trying to get at- that is the purpose of trhub.net
Sem
In short, the length of a URL could affect the appearance of hunt particles but doesn't affect hunt rankings. We use Money Accounts for business.
Eliza
My advice to you. 1. Use only the main domain 2. URL shortening is not necessary, because it will reduce link juice (backlink strength) 3. If you want a short url, just enter the main keyword in the url