Did you build in public before?

Samir Rashed
27 replies
If yes, please share your thoughts about the best practices and the recommended steps.

Replies

Rob Martinez
I guess I've always built privately? What exactly does building in public mean? Sorry, newbie here.
Sai K
@roblmtzjr I never did, But I have seen people doing it. Usually, founders/ builders share their journey or story behind a feature or anything related to the company or tech they use frequently in public platforms or platforms like PH. Engage / Interact with users. This helps in 2 ways, organic personal branding and people will know what you are building and if they like might refer/ share you potential leads. I really liked it and know few folks who are really really strong at doing this.
Rob Martinez
@sai_k9 I see... thank you so much for that. Any recommendations on who to follow?
Sai K
@roblmtzjr Yes Karthik Puvvada on twitter. His handle is 'thisiskp_' . He is on PH as well but not sure of his handle.
Padmakar Roy
@roblmtzjr Building in public means talking to your users regularly while building and after building to understand their problems and integrate the solution to the problems (you may call these solutions - 'features') into your product. You should start talking to users before even writing the first line of code. This is to ensure two things: 1. To validate that the problem you thought about actually is faced by your target user. 2. That the problem is acute enough that the user will be ready to pay for the solution.
Samir Rashed
@sai_k9 @roblmtzjr @paddyroybt Thank you so much! I appreciate your help.
Samir Rashed
I have seen many startups try that, and I think they have got good results. What do you think?
Cyril Gupta
A little bit, but I didn't like it. I like to build in private, display in public.
Anna Kasumova
Yes, I did. My recommendations: - don't think about work-life balance. More work - talk or chat with the customers yourself (at least first 50 customers) - be loyal and patient with the customers - create content in social media - think like a customer - make more instructions/video tutorials
Thomas Halbritter
Yes! I am currently doing it. It's a great way to get valuable feedback fast. But you have to keep in mind that it is a grind in the beginning. Engaging takes A LOT of time.
Yeah - I like it 👍
Max Yamp
What's the best way to share progress?
Samir Rashed
@yampolsky I don't know what the best way is, but I see some people share it via Twitter or another active social platforms
Padmakar Roy
Building in private is like: a video that you found hilarious but when you showed it to your friend, she had a very lukewarm reaction. But in your head it was hilarious and she too would have fallen off the chair! Similarly, the product might be kickass for you but not for the user. The user will find it kickass only if it solves their problem. A kickass product is not built in isolation but in collaboration with the users. All successful startup founders regularly talk to their users!
Austin Nguyen | Afforai
We are trying to build in public more and more. It is much better to get user feedback early on and focus your product on consumers' needs. However, it still scares me to this day to deploy a feature that might not be fully polished for the users yet.