Bootstrap or Raise VC funding?

I think bootstrapping is the way to go! I think it's the way to go. It might be slower. It might be harder. But, you own 100%. It may not be worth much today, but in a few years, 100% of a multi-million dollar exit is pretty nice ;)

Replies

Ashmil Hussain
I had a similar thought before when someone asked me whether I would prefer to own 100% of a bootstrapped $10 million company or 50% of a venture-funded $100 million company. Ultimately, it's a matter of balancing time and scalability.
Funding means giving away part of your piece to someone else who will further pass it to someone else and so on and so forth...
Claudiu Cogalniceanu
I used to think the same. But I don’t know where I heard or who said this, but it stuck with me - the business grows bigger when there are more people involved (VCs). I think it’s true tbh. I haven’t raised and I’m not looking to, but I might at some point. And not because I’ll need the extra cash. But because of their influence and their ability to help me reach the next milestone.
Eden
I think it depends on the product and where you are in your journey and what you want to gain out of your exit