B2Developer Marketing, Is it even a real thing??

Deniz
23 replies
👋 Hey Product Hunt community, It's my first discussion topic in PH. Basically my pov: Developers are not just code creators; they're crucial decision-makers, often having the final say in choosing the technologies or platforms their companies adopt. And they tend to speak a different language (quite literally😅) I'm curious about your opinions(you can ignore my little nudge in the options😁) PS., In Contentrain, we're experimenting some B2D operations for a while and trying to get some insights.

Replies

Serkan Korkaç
As the developer population increases, our language will become stronger 😀
@serkan_korkac Hey Serkan, our very own Next.js Ninja! Spot on! The dev population is growing and so is the weight of the voice. And with talented, keyboard-slicing, bug-annihilating ninjas like you in our ranks, how could our product not become stronger? 💪 Stay awesome, ninja!
Fabian Maume
Yes marketing to developer is a thing. But it tends to be quite complex: developer do not like to be advertise too. It is important to focus on informative content and avoid being sales pushy. There are few channels which work well with developer: - Reddit - Twitter (organic rather than ad as developers heavily use ad blocker) - Product hunt (Just use "developer tool" as one of your launch topic) - dev.to good for content distribution - github you can list yourself in repo like this one: https://github.com/maxprilutskiy...
@fabian_maume Hey Fabian, Your comment is spot-on and really resonates with our experience at Contentrain. Marketing to developers does indeed require a thoughtful approach. Developers value authenticity, relevance, and value-add, not salesy or flashy messages. I completely agree that channels like Reddit, Twitter, and dev.to are effective for reaching developers, and that the emphasis should be on organic, informative content. They provide fantastic platforms for us to share our ideas, engage in discussions, and even learn a thing or two from our fellow developers. Thanks so much for your insights and support, Fabian. These kinds of exchanges are exactly what we're here for!
Feyzan A.
Hello! I agree with you, especially about speaking a different language :)
@etjecode Hey Feyzan, I'm glad you see it the same way! 😄 I've always felt that the "developer lingo" you guys use is a unique language in itself. It's part of what makes this community so special.
This is my first time hearing this definition. Now, as I think about it, I realize I've been doing this for the past six months. Thank you for defining it! :D
@sandradjajic SANDRA! It's super cool that you've been doing B2D marketing without even realizing it! That's the beauty of it – sometimes, we're already doing the right things intuitively. I'm glad that I introduced this concept to you! If you have any insights or experiences you'd like to share, feel free to do so. It could provide valuable insights for the rest of us.
Harun
I've been to a few developer conferences recently and I've noticed that at some conferences or even single talks were nothing more than marketing for a specific product. Often the sponsors have their own slots for presentations - and then you have a bunch of developers in one room being told something about a product.
@hrnsvnc Hey Harun, You're absolutely right. The line between informative talks and product pitches can often blur at conferences. As someone focused on B2D marketing, it's essential for me to remember that developers value insightful, practical, and non-salesy content. I believe there's a right way and a wrong way to do this - it's about bringing real value to the table, helping developers solve problems, learn something new, and improve their craft, rather than just promoting a product. Your feedback strengthens this idea! Thanks for sharing your experiences and insights, really appreciated!
Can DEVE
In my opinion, how well their needs are met and ease of use are as important to developers as marketing.
@notcan Hey Can, our ultimate power user! Man, you hit the nail on the head there! 👌 Indeed, we don't just want something shiny and well-marketed. We want tools that meet our needs, solve our problems, and, of course, don't make us want to throw our computers out the window in frustration😅
Arda Sanıl Onay
Yes, I think marketing in a normal market and marketing in a development ecosystem don't the same thing. In this case,The most important thing, is your target audiences are a specific crowd of people. And they have important knowledge about the ecosystem. Also, they know how they can meet their needs by using which product. That's why, you should think twice or three times before doing b2d marketing. Any simple mistake or upgrade can affect your users negatively or positively.
@ardasanilonay Hey Arda, You're absolutely spot on! Developers are a unique crowd for sure, they're quick to detect any fluff and deeply appreciate genuine and useful solutions. And boy, do they have eagle eyes for details! One slight misstep, and you'll be hearing about it (which is actually a good thing because feedback is gold, right?). 😅
Matt Kealey
B2D seems very interesting. I might have to do a deep dive into it.
@mattkealey I'm happy to hear that Matt! Here's a great link to start: https://github.com/ronakganatra/...
Eyüp Poyraz
I completely agree - developers are key decision-makers and more than just "code creators". They're critical thinkers, problem solvers, and their choices greatly impact projects. For B2D, understanding developers' preferences, language, and work culture is crucial. They need powerful, flexible tools, great community support, and top-notch documentation. Remember, while they value practicality, developers are also users. UX and simplicity matter. Good luck with your B2D experiments at Contentrain!
@eyup_poyraz1 Hey there, Thanks for echoing our thoughts. Developers indeed are the superheroes without capes (maybe just with hoodies and a lot of coffee😅). They're not only decision-makers but also problem solvers who can creatively leverage tools to architect solutions. 🚀 You've hit the nail on the head about understanding their culture and preferences. They want power but they also want simplicity and intuitive experiences. We're constantly learning, adapting and trying to incorporate these insights into Contentrain. And yes, top-notch documentation is like the holy grail in the dev world. We’re on it, making sure it's as informative and user-friendly as possible.
@eyup_poyraz1 btw I think for now, (at least before us) it's definitely informative but not 2023_user-friendly
Amulya Prasad
It's so real. Understanding and connecting with a developer gets tricky in Marketing. A marketer has to have developer knowledge to keep going. I've been working with Neverinstall 2.0 and I've spent time understanding developers' bottlenecks and their workflow. It has really helped me strategize my marketing efforts.
@amulya_prasad Hey there, Absolutely! Being a marketer in a developer-centric environment is like being a translator, you're constantly decoding and recoding messages between two distinct worlds. It's a challenging yet fascinating journey. And you're right, understanding developer workflow, their pain points and tailoring your strategies accordingly is the key to success in this field.🔑
flo merian
@amulya_prasad thanks, Amulya! curious what your best dev marketing strategies are. would love to have your inputs in this related Discussion: Best marketing strategies for developer tools