Are you on Threads?

Max Prilutskiy
16 replies
Meta Threads launched in EU, I've created an account, but I can't find my fellow builders there. Any tips? Are you on Threads? How to use it right? (my link is https://www.threads.net/@maxpril... btw)

Replies

Viacheslav Ustinov
In my opinion, too close a connection with Instagram prevented the development of this platform.
Kaushik Mukherjee
Following this β€œ thread β€œ I am on threads but pretty much dormant Is it useful ?
Max Girkins
I've been on it for a while and have found that it's great at showing broadly interesting things but not so good at finding niche communities like indie makers. Thread's recommender system seems to be more about exploration vs Twitter's being better for exploitation. My link is https://www.threads.net/@mgirkins
Kaushik Mukherjee
@mgirkins hey Mark out of curiosity what does exploration versus exploitation mean . Can you cite some examples
Max Girkins
*Max :) @kaushik_mukherjee1 Exploration vs exploitation is a concept useful for describing optimisation problems such as recommending users relevant threads/tweets. Exploration refers to showing a broad range of different content in order to gauge what a user likes. Exploitation refers to showing a user lots of similar content to that which they already like. A good recommendation algorithm will have a nice mix of both but it's difficult as some users prefer to explore more and some like to stick to niche areas exclusively. It's a fascinating topic that I actually wrote my undergraduate dissertation on at university. There are all sorts of problems and trade offs that need to be decided on and recommender systems can easily lead to filter bubbles and polarisation.
Kaushik Mukherjee
@mgirkins firstly apologies Max, these might be my first signs of dyslexia πŸ˜… So threads is more exploratory is what you think it might be. That’s interesting because personalisation apparently has been the buzz word which social media sites try to optimise on. E-commerce companies on the other hand in order to cross sell also do a bunch of collaborative filtering and explore. One of the reasons why I stopped going to Facebook was because it at some point used to show all sorts of random things on my feed. Would that be too much exploration ? Anyways I will engage with threads myself as well, thanks for the explanation
Max Girkins
@kaushik_mukherjee1 No worries! Yes I think so, but they will be able to dial that up and down as they please so I expect it will become a bit more exploitative in future once communities have formed more. At the moment I think it's exploratory because you need people seeing lots of different content in order for them to find their niche. Social media sites have been doing this for ages, ever since the news feed switched from showing just the most recent items from your friends. Facebook's recommender system is dreadful for a two reasons in my opinion: - It focuses too heavily on brands and pages rather than your friends - None of your friends are creating content on there anymore so there's nothing really to show. The less there is to show the less likely you are to post things yourself and it's a vicious cycle. Anyway, I hope you enjoy Threads, I'm on there as @mgirkins :)
Ruslan.D
also think about where to find and build community)))
Cameron Scully
havnt heard of threads in long
Lena Pol
As a video content creator, it often feels challenging to break through to new audiences. It seems like the spotlight is mostly on the top global influencers. Nevertheless, I believe that consistent effort, staying active with comments, shares, and such, can eventually yield results. As a user, I've personally found that the platform doesn't offer much more value than regular Instagram entertainment.
Yogita Gholap
When I started with threads find it cool, but in my opinion, the thread as a product is not aware of its placement from the user's perspective. Like is it a competitor of X or a product with features of Twitter+insta? I didn't continue. But it's still doing great, which means some users are finding it useful. Community building is one of the use cases.
Vincent Delitz
@maxprilutskiy yes but not really using it
Poul merry
also think about where to find and build community)))
Yannick
Should we hunters go on Threads ?
Joieta Choudhury
What's the main attraction to using Threads? Any specific features? I don't completely understand the hype