AMA about SEO

TheBigK
21 replies
Over the past 15 years of building several websites and organically growing communities, I've learned a few things about SEO. My knowledge comes from making mistakes, learning from them and practically observing the results. SEO continues to dominate the growth channels for most of the online businesses and anyone building anyone online needs to take SEO seriously. However, there's plenty of advice available and it could be confusing at times. If you have a question about SEO, ask it below. Expect a no-fluff answer in return. Let's do it.

Replies

Eric Ryan
Thanks for offering your expertise! Currently, I'm focusing on optimizing the speed of my client's memesfunny website, . Any tips on how to enhance its performance would be greatly appreciated
Hossein Yazdi
Thanks mate for opening this discussion. What marketing effort you've found most helpful in your SEO strategy?
TheBigK
@hosseinyazdi Finding the right keywords and then writing content for people AND search engines. That's 99% of the efforts. Rest 1% could go into building high-quality backlinks; but I've had pretty good results without putting any efforts into getting backlinks. People tend to forget that Google can't "read" your articles like us humans. It relies on algorithms that figure out what the content is about and you need to write content in certain way to make it understand the content. I hope this helps. PS: Would love to support your launch.
Hossein Yazdi
@thebigk Thanks for sharing your insights. Also appreciate your support for my launch! It means a lot! One more question if you've time, how have you built high-quality backlinks? Did you use any paid marketing campaigns or some other sort of strategy?
TheBigK
@hosseinyazdi I rely on natural backlinks. Never paid for a back link and that has worked very well for me.
Maurizio Isendoorn
How much impact does domain age have?
TheBigK
@maurizioisendoorn In head to head competition, it helps to have older domain. However, it’s the topical authority that typically wins the SEO game.
Do you think SEO is something you can expertise casually? Or is it something I can't multitask with and need to dedicate blocks of time to learning. Thanks
TheBigK
@samuel_dev SEO has to be a natural extension of your content strategy. I learned it the hard way. If you are absolutely new, start by looking on Google what people are searching for related to your domain. Look for the suggestions Google throws and the questions you get in suggestions. The next step is to find out how to write for both humans and Google. If you have money to invest, explore tools like Ahrefs and Semrush. Focus on business and learn SEO basics. Go with a proven CMS and your technical SEO is sorted. Rest is something you will learn over time.
Hans Paul Pizzinini
Semantic SEO pages Vs. Blog posts What would you put your time on?
TheBigK
@hanspaulpp I don’t differentiate between them. You need to create content with depth and build topical authority. Avoid casual and low quality content that doesn’t serve user intent at all costs.
Prominent seo
Hi, sir I wanted to ask you something about Search Engine Optimization, I am new to SEO and I also have a micro website on a video editor apk, I am doing off page seo of this website since last years, But my website is stuck at 2nd postion in Google Serp page, Now I wanted to ask you about what to do to rank my website on number 1 on Google Serps. I also purchased many of Guest posts and niche edits for my websites. But I am unable to reach at number 1. Please give me some tips that can help me ranking at the first position of google. Here is my website to review. https://alightmotionsapps.com/
TheBigK
@prominent_seo I won’t do an audit of your website and strategy. It could be that the top ranked is better than you. Second rank is good too. Don’t overthink it. Look for opportunities where you can rank at the top.
Milli Sen
Would you recommend any AI tools for content creation?
Milli Sen
@thebigk Thanks for the advice. Which tools are generally useful for content creation and SEO in your opinion?
Andrey Belousov
@thebigk We are launching a private beta test of our SEO tool in a couple of weeks. You enter your domain into it, and it does a complete keyword research in a few minutes. Would you like to take part in a private beta test?
TheBigK
Lot of people asked for questions and received answers; but no one really upvoted this.
Eddy Wu
Hey, thank you for opening this discussion. We're a small start-up that just started on our site and we want SEO to be how we market in the future. Is there anything that we must do when we start? Or if we can pay someone to do it for us(even you), please let us know! Thanks
TheBigK
@eddywu23 Good question, Eddy. There are few basic steps you must take as a new startup: 1. Ensure that your website follows basic technical guidelines. You can find these on Google's SEO guidelines. In short ensure that HTML has proper: title, meta description, canonical url tags. 2. Establish proper internal linking among the most relevant pages. 3. Setup /blog and build a content strategy around keywords 4. Keep a uniform URL strategy across your marketing site 5. Ensure site loads fast and is mobile friendly (responsive layout) 6. Create a sitemap and submit it to Google. 7. Add your site to Google Search Console and implement analytics tool like Google Analytics. Those are bare-minimum steps for any website. I can help you get started. If you wish to discuss, connect with me over twitter - https://twitter.com/thebigk