Do you think no-code will revolutionize the world of software and web development?

Senuka Rathnayake
2 replies
I personally believe it will as no-code platforms start to be more and more advanced and now you can use no-code platforms to build facebook/twitter clones. No-code platforms have now reached apps, websites, voice apps and it may reach many more in the near future.

Replies

Eddie H.
Still up in the air. There are a number of downsides to consider with no-code / low-code, including customizability and maintenance. There are some misconceptions to no/low code. The first is that you don't actually have to do any coding. You still do, it's just minimized. However, many of these tools use their own language, which you still have to learn. We had low-code in the 90's - Visual Basic, Microsoft Access, and maybe it wasn't the right time for it to become ubiquitous, but we've been here before. With that said, there will be a ton of offerings hitting the market at the same time. We'll have to see which one sticks and whether or not there will be some form of standards established with the underlying language.
Farouk Grissom
By raw definition, spreadsheets are no-code, and those have been revolutionizing the business world for decades. I think no-code can unlock a level of products by lowering the barrier to entry, but even that space is finite. Step-function improvements require custom code (at least the first time), so no-code will just lead to a proliferation of repeatable business models (combinations of marketplaces, chat features, location, etc.). This is still a good thing, as it spreads those pieces of tech to countless spaces and industries. But it's a far cry from a 'revolution,' which I would use to describe something like NLP or search engine indexing. Having said that, I'm excited to see the no-code offerings and all the cool things that come out of it. They're definitely a blast to use.