I'm battling climate change from space, AMA!

Shoaib Iqbal
4 replies
Hi all, I'm the founder of Saturn Space - a startup building satellites to help battle climate change. We're building a CubeSat constellation capable of hyperspectral imagery and aim to make industries efficient with our data, drastically reducing environmental impact. While our technology remains in RnD, next week, we're launching Atlas. An analytics tool that sources data from satellite imagery to produce actionable climate change data. We've built an analytical engine which uses imagery to calculate greenhouse gas concentrations in real-time for any desired location. We will be expanding this to soil and vegetation health, forest covers and more! Also, I know this may raise a lot of questions so AMA! We're keeping our tool completely free and open-source, making it available to everyone and creating a platform to help people build innovative solutions to help save our planet. Subscribe to our product hunt page for more exciting updates! It’ll help heaps!!!! Product Hunt: https://www.producthunt.com/upco... Our website: http://www.saturnspace.co

Replies

Hanna Barzakouskaya
So exciting product! Good luck. Have you already launched some of miniature cube satellites?
Shoaib Iqbal
@anna_panchenko Hey Anna! Our first launch is planned for late 2020 to early 2021. This will be an experimental launch but data from this will be made completely open sourced as we're planning on crowdfunding the project. Our satellites from then onwards will be commercialized tho!
Abadesi
How does your data help fight climate change? Do you work directly with the parties creating carbon emissions, for example? I'd love to hear more about the industries you're targeting and how you package your data with actionable advice.
Shoaib Iqbal
@abadesi Hi Abadesi! Yes, we do work with parties and industries who are the leading cause of carbon emissions and other environmental harms. Our target industries are Mining, Agriculture, Oil and Gas, we aim to use the imagery collected by our satellites to help their activities be more efficient, hence, reducing overuse of the earth's resources while saving them cost. Our direct value to those industries, as they're our consumers, is the increase in efficiency and we want to frame our advise and inputs in such a manner that it also provides for environmental benefits.