People who want to become a founder, what is stopping you from becoming one?

Sreekar Channapragada
42 replies
Full disclosure : my team and I are building an application which will have Stories of/by founders, a Game in which you can play the founder of a startup and run it from idea to IPO, a Chat-bot to interact with, where gurus will suggest learning content curated/created by founders (which helped them understand a certain concept for eg. Negotiation) So I'm taking in more feedback to make final changes to it before going live in various phases starting November. Do let me know your thoughts on the same and thankyou.

Replies

Viktoria Rejn
I am in my creative crisis. I am in the pursue of that one niche that no one is there for now, but for now it seems to too ambitious plan
Sreekar Channapragada
@viktoriarejn I can understand. Would you like to share a bit of it here?
Viktoria Rejn
@sreekar In simple words I am always about doing evrything great or doing nothing. It is my greatest struggle for life that I can not deal with.
Ebrahim-Khalil Hassen
"too many ideas" should be an option
Sreekar Channapragada
@ebrahimkhalil haha i can emapthize with you. So would you say the solution lies somewhere between what you really like to do as well as what the market would be ready to pay for?
Ebrahim-Khalil Hassen
@sreekar something like that. nothing like that. i do not really know. my current approach is to just complete the one that is closest to completion.
Zach Keck
@ebrahimkhalil Pick one, focus, put in time, and fail forward
Dervieux Benoît
We had this kind of exercise in my university and I felt a kind of rivalry just for having the right score. Getting a score was more important than the experience in itself. I think it shouldn't be like that for a game mostly for entrepreneurs
Sreekar Channapragada
@dervieux_benoit Hey! We ourselves are fighting to find the sweet spot between keeping it competitive at the same time help the user eventually become a founder in real life. Yes, that would mean a user lost everytime they leave the game to start out on their own but at the same time it would be considered a success as well. I will keep in mind what you said and relay it to the team. Also, thanks for sharing your experience.
Greg Striblin
I chose to become one, quit the security of a 9-5 job because it felt like more of a risk not to. I enjoy the Freedom it brings.
Carolline Miranda
Too many ideas and no idea to start with
Sreekar Channapragada
@carolline_miranda I hope you find something worth going after. I feel it lies somewhere between what you really want to do and what the market is ready to pay for. Also, just a tip from what I'm doing, I myself am not completely sure if and how much the users will be ready to pay for this product. But I'm ready to adapt the product to user needs to keep it sustainable as long as it doesn't go against my purpose and my principles. Also, thanks for sharing!
Aaron O'Leary
In general I have founded things, but it's a different market this time which is being a blocker. DTC is not well established where I am and finding the specific resources needed is hard here
Sreekar Channapragada
@aaronoleary very interesting and I'm sure you'll definitely find a way. Could you please expand a bit on the problem you are facing, so that I and others like me who're doing this for the first time can learn from? Thanks alot for sharing.
Anyfactor
"Founder" is just a title.
sylvain dore
Meeting the right people at the right time can help. For me, I've always wanted to be an entrepreneur and try to found something great. I started my first project a few months ago thanks to a mentor and inspiring people who help me break down barriers. (like you mention in your survey) Talk to the people who can help you take the first step and the newt one.. is great to stop to thinking and start to found something without knowing it. 😃
Sreekar Channapragada
@sylvain_dore75 hey yes I agree talking to people who've walked the path definitely helps and finally it's on you to jump into entrepreneurship. Thanks for sharing!
DRx V Bhugwade
I have founded things but it's a different market this time is being a blocker. Is not well established where I am and finding the special resources needed is hard to believe that you are my life is here..
Sreekar Channapragada
@drx_v_bhugwade I'm not sure what you mean. Would you like to elaborate a bit?
Chris Wray
For all the people who don't have an idea, I will be your personal idea generator for you.
Sreekanth PM
Most people will go under a comfort zone when they get a job. They do routine things and can't come out of that zone until you are desperate of being an entrepreneur.
Sreekar Channapragada
@sreekanth850 very well said. Would you say that the want to be an entrepreneur is innate but the need is created through tough situations?
Sreekanth PM
@sreekar Not all, it depends, 99% will keep going with what they are. The world had changed a lot. Building something and reaching people is easy these days. So if you cant do this now you may not do it forever.
Hannah S Kim
Another option should be "have a full-time job!" There are always people who have side projects, they just haven't arrived at a point where they can turn into main projects.
Sreekar Channapragada
@hannahsuyun yes so true. What do you think people want which would be enough for them to leave their full-time job and work on their idea whole & sole?
Dakota L.
Personally I'm finding a community/audience to build a product for, rather than just building a product and hoping someone likes it. So it's not that I'm not working towards being a founder, but rather I'm working slower in hopes of building something that lasts.
Sreekar Channapragada
@fastflowz understood and that's a really nice way of going about it. Have you set yourself some timeline for this?
Dakota L.
@sreekar tbh no. I've got a lot going on personally and professionally outside of my interest in being a founder. It's been very refreshing working at something I'm passionate about with no timeline or expecations. It's something I get to do, not something that I have to do. Definitely not your target market as there's nothing really stopping me lol
Sreekar Channapragada
@fastflowz haha. You seem to have struck the balance between peace and productivity. All the very best!