You've built a product in a crowded market with similar offerings; what sets you apart?

Joonatan
24 replies
Let's face it, you're rarely the first one in the market. However, you've still chosen to build the product even though there is already existing ones. What sets you apart?

Replies

Amir Najari
If you are talking about an application (which is a software but is not a game). Here are some bullet points. - The specific community you target and how you reach. - The community you create around your product. - Pricing and billing style (not necessarily lower price). - Ease of use / different features. - Integrability of your product (with other products that your target market use etc) - The quality of your support.
Gaurav Ahlawat
it would be greate if you can review my product?
Julia Chacur
Super interesting topic. Would love to hear people's insights
Alex Nix
I would like to compete and become better
Charlie Choi
I think sometimes people overemphasize on differentiation, when in fact most people in your target market just simply does not know about you. A small differentiation even in the UI or UX can have people favor you over some other offering.
Joonatan
@charlie_choi3 Yes often the unique aspect doesnt have to be anything revolutionary, it can be even just small adjustments which make one's product stand out!
Outlivo
The mindset of the creator while creating that product - irrespective of the outcome of failure/success
Florian Vates
I have this weird "issue" that I am in a very crowded marked of reminders but my app is different from any reminder because it doesn't rely on annoying notifications but instead subtly reminds you right on the home screen with a nice little widget. The main problem is, that people will have a hard time finding it because it won't rank very high for reminders because there are just so many. And probably no one searches for "subtle reminder" or something like that. It's a shame but I noticed once people know it exists, they like it a lot. Launching today 🙌 https://www.producthunt.com/prod...
Joonatan
@fvates You just got to find the correct aspect of which marketing works for your subtle reminder! Also "subtle reminder" sounds perfect start for a tag line or one liner!
Florian Vates
@joonatanvanhala yeah I have to do some testing. Currently it’s mindful reminder because it sounds better but subtle is probably more clear.
John Griffith
Providing more features compared to the rivals at the same price. This strategy has helped me in launching 3 products over a period of 7 years.
Joonatan
@johngriffith Often competing with pricing can be a difficult edge, but sometimes it can work perfectly if marketed correctly!
Žiga Kerec
Tight integration with our end customers. We prepared an enterprise package that creates custom presets for our customers and we offer them seamless integration into their system. We are aware of scalability issues and are already addressing them - but this is something that competition is not currently doing.