Will you pay $8/mo for Twitter checkmark?

Sonia Kost
31 replies
Are you willing to pay $8/mo to make your account or your product's account verified on Twitter? Do you think it could affect your growth as a Build In Public product? This topic obviously has blown up on Twitter last week but I haven't seen much on this from actual founders/builders. What do you think?

Replies

Colin Johnson
Will try everything else first, but then probably yes :)
Paul Mit
If it makes Twitter even better and more convenient, I'm all for it!
Sveta Bay
@mituhin yeah, fixed DM and ads definitely worth $8 👀
Henry Bach
I won't until twitter clarifies that it will not sell user data
Rich Watson
so you need be verified first to get it right? like same requirements? i'd imagine they wouldnt let just anyone buy them..
Michael Flux
@richw I think even if they allowed literally anyone to simply pay and get the checkmark, that alone would cut down on the bot problem 100x. All of the sudden instead of being able to spin up 10,000 bots within hours at effectively no cost at all, and artificially push spam, scams or political crap, the same thing starts costing $80,000. Far higher barrier of entry.
Sonia Kost
@richw As I understand, that was the whole point. Like. there's no bias in who's getting the checkmark anymore - you can just pay for it and experience the same benefits.
Manja
@richw @michaelflux In theory, this sounds like the solution to the bot problem. In practice, however, every account operated by real people would have to have the checkmark in order to achieve credible consistency. As soon as a certain percentage does not want to pay for it, there is no certainty, because the accounts are mixed again. I don't think anyone would want to willfully exclude others just because they don't have a checkmark.
Michael Flux
@callom "I don't think anyone would want to willfully exclude others just because they don't have a checkmark." But that's precisely what is currently happening. If you have a blue checkmark, one of the benefits is that you can completely filter out all non verified users from interacting with you. This is precisely how twitter became such an echo chamber. The blue checkmarks get handed primarily to politicians and (mostly) left leaning journalists - and that results in that the only people the journalists interact with are other journalists who repeat their opinions back to them, while the politicians only ever see activists and journalists in their notifications.
Manja
@michaelflux I'm more referring to a future situation when everyone could have the checkmark simply via a payment. The sorting you describe would then no longer work as it does now (that would be good). However, it remains to be seen if other methods will then be established to allow such sorting out (that would be bad). Possibly it would actually solve the bot problem in the way you describe. But is that the right approach to it? It would only be a helpless attempt to circumvent the basic problem: the distinction between bot and human. I certainly don't want to pay to identify myself as a human. Back to the original topic: What credibility does a certification that I can buy via a subscription exude? What about those who don't want to participate? Does that make them less trustworthy or credible?
Arzu Özkan
It feels weird to have to pay to freely express my opinions. What's more, it's really irritating if the opinions of people who pay are going to be seen as more important by the Twitter algorithm.
Sonia Kost
@arzuozkan Well, expressing an opinion would still be free, but it definitely might get lost somewhere in the bottom if there'll be too many paid checkmarks in the thread 🥲
Michael Flux
@arzuozkan But that's the thing, no-one is forcing anyone to pay. People can continue using the platform exactly as they have been using it, for the last decade, and continue saying whatever they want. As far as some people being seen as 'more important' by the algos, that is already was has been happening for as long as Twitter verification has existed. In fact if you have been verified, you have the option of completely filtering out everyone who isn't (which is exactly how many of those people create their own echo chambers).
Arzu Özkan
@michaelflux Yeah of course they can continue to use it for free. But what's the advantage of having a checkmark? Let's think about that. Previously, Twitter gave checkmarks to people with a certain influence ability, and you also had to be trustworthy. (I don't know the details of the algorithm, but not everyone could get it easily) Thanks to their checkmarks, these people could reach larger audiences more easily and even earn money from it (thanks to advertising deals) Now in a scenario where anyone who pays can have a checkmark, your ideas and your ability to influence become less important. The possibility of it turning Twitter into a world where everyone becomes an influencer like Instagram is scary.
Michael Flux
@arzuozkan "you also had to be trustworthy" But we're talking about different things here. In its original intent, the verification program was exactly what the name suggests - to verify that a person is who they say they are. And the only thing that was required initially was for you to submit that proof in the form of an ID. After a while, that iteration of the program ended and verification badges started getting handed out more selectively at which point the whole thing turned into "here are the people/organisations we like" which of course inevitably gained an ideologic and political angle. "your ideas and your ability to influence become less important." But isn't that a good thing. To level the playing field, turn verification back into confirming that you're a real person and you're not impersonating anyone. At that point, it becomes a battleground of ideas. The best ideas win out, and they win because they are popular, not because a group of elites pre-approved them. At that point it actually turns into a real democracy from the aristocracy that it is currently.
Arzu Özkan
@michaelflux I agree with what you've said so far. But is it really necessary to pay for this to turn it into a democracy?
Michael Flux
If it helps get rid of all the bots and spammers who consume every single thread with irrelevant junk, and outright scams, I'm all for it.
Adithyan Selvaraj
To get that blue tick organically, one has to spend more on PR activities except for some people. If someone is following you for a long time, probably they know you're best in your niche. There is no need for bluetick to prove to someone they're worth. People consider the blue tick as social currency only and they don't value much as someone's content.
Michael Flux
@adithyan "People consider the blue tick as social currency" Exactly why the existing owners of the ticks are so outraged. If all of the sudden the Lambo that you paid 400k for started selling for 15k, you'd be pretty pissed too. All of the sudden every plebeian is driving around the same thing thing and no-one is paying attention to you anymore.
Adithyan Selvaraj
@michaelflux Only owners are outraged. My point is, it is absolutely fine to pay 8$ for the blue tick mark. Because he knows the power of Twitter and that's why he introduced the pricing model.
Michael Flux
@adithyan Yeah agree, if you're getting value out of twitter as many of the professionals who are on it are, it's a perfectly reasonable thing to pay.
Swapnil D Puranik
I would in a hearbeat, IF it gives me 100% ad-free experience.
BRIAN JONES
If i have blue tick then i will do :) Our Financial Advisor will help you plan & save for your financial goals. Visit us now!
Tracy Ma
Yeah, I will pay $8 for my product.