Will Threads be the end of Twitter?

Namrata Arya
101 replies
Given all the recent changes on Twitter like paid verification, daily restriction on the no. of tweets etc., and given threads is a replica of twitter - do you think it will replace Twitter?

Replies

Kulsoom Awan
I believe threads will vanish soon, and Twitter will step up its game and will be in the league once again.
Cyril Gupta
Judging from what I saw of Threads today. No. It's a very poorly designed experience.
Namrata Arya
@cyriljeet interesting. You’re right. If the user experience isn’t up to the mark, people aren’t going to spend a lot of time on the platform. Although I think this is just a very hurriedly rolled out first cut and they will definitely improvise
Christian Misael Prado Ciokler
@cyriljeet Well, ten million users signed up in its first seven hours https://www.bbc.com/news/technol...
Namrata Arya
@cyriljeet @chrisciokler exactly! Also the export from instagram option is so clever. You don't need to start from scratch - you already have a ready list of followers
Chris Messina
@cyriljeet what is poorly designed? It seems very well executed given what it does on day one. Please be specific.
Paul d
@cyriljeet @chrisciokler I like the stripped down, clean design... kinda what Twitter used to be. 70 million users that it has claimed to have so far is 3.5% of Instagrams user base if you judge IG to have 2 billion users.
Abrar Sami
Launching soon!
Nah, at least not yet
Yash Gupta
Tough to say. Initial response has been encouraging but their search still needs some work and it feels like an IG add-on which made Twitter in different for that crowd
@yash_gupta15 if you were a betting man, which way would you lean? Yes or No?
Yash Gupta
@anish_banerji No. Get a feeling Twitter will find its niche back after a while
André J
Launching soon!
Time will tell. But not investing time in twitter atm. Too unstable. Threads can get users from insta. So has a better chance than any of the alternatives. Also more stable management, altho Facebook ads could be a problem. Too many
Namrata Arya
@sentry_co agreed! I love that you don't need to start at zero followers. I signed up 12 hours ago and I already have 50 thanks to instagram. I think this is going to be a big plus. Also agree on the stable management bit ;)
André J
Launching soon!
@namrata_arya Really! nice. Hw many followers did you have on insta?
Irma Lafleur
I literally JUST wrote an article about this! Check it out: https://debates.db8.com/p/will-m... You can also vote on whether or not you think Threads will be the final nail in the coffin for Twitter.
Chris Messina
@irma_lafleur where did this stat come from, "losing 1.7 million dollars a DAY"?
Irma Lafleur
@chrismessina That was from: https://www.socialmediatoday.com... It looks like according to Forbes, it was losing 4mil a day in November 2022 - and this article has it at 1.7.
Hashnimo
No, but Twitter userbase will split.
No, they will close soon))
@serhii_uspenskyi Considering Zuck is keeping his Metaverse dreams alive even after investing Billions for no return, would be very surprising if Threads closed down soon.
@anish_banerji don't take it so seriously) It's just some thoughts) For sure, I can't predict such things)
Jacques van Heerden
Definitely not. It's a welcome addition to feed the narrative of what Instagram has become and keep the memeing on Twitter at bay. If you push aside the politics on Twitter, you uncover a user base you won't find spending time on Instagram 60min a day to respond and add value where they can.
Gabe Moronta
No not the end, but with its sheer size(10million+ in 7hrs) it will compete long term, it may even potentially acquire one of the other competitors that sprouted up, Bsky or T2, who knows. But Twitter will undergo many iterations, it will never be the Twitter of old that people remember, that time has come & gone, but it will be something different, I think there will be various platforms dedicated to different purposes. Much like Linkedin was business only since its inception and Facebook was for friends and family, you'll see a new fragmentation of social apps.
Short Answer: No Threads hasn't brought anything new to the table - yet. They've overcome the cold-start problem by seeding users to everyones "timeline". It remains to be see if they're able to get their users to have native conversations and keep posting over time, and keep their Daily Active Users high. Once the novelty passes and if users drop off, then Twitter will prevail and keep evolving. For now, Twitter remains the "public square" of the internet. But competition breeds innovation, and I am hoping Threads helps moderate some of the excesses we've seen lately on Twitter.
Atishh Amte
It's very early to commit something but I would like to highlight some points here 1. Connecting to Instagram and importing all contacts from there is not a great move. 2. The color combination looks too odd in dark mode. 3. It doesn't feel like something new. It feels like they have removed Instagram Reels and used the platform with only text. 4. It doesn't feel like I'm talking there. I was under the impression of Instagram and kept scrolling. 5. There's no sense of engagement. Would you like to add more
AJ Martin
Not IG user so no interest in another Mark Zuckerberg production
Akanksha Gaur
Any social media platform's future is difficult to foresee with precision. Even while Twitter's new feature, Threads, has gained notice and appeal, it is unlikely that it will be the only thing that affects the platform's future as a whole.
John Crazu
While Threads may share similarities with Twitter, it's unlikely to completely replace the platform. Twitter has a massive user base and established brand presence. The recent changes on Twitter, such as paid verification and tweet restrictions, aim to improve user experience and combat abuse. Both platforms can coexist Cone, offering different features and catering to diverse user preferences. It ultimately depends on individual preferences and the specific needs of users.
logan sheele
Deso is the end game here, everything else is a distraction.
Heleana Grace
I think it's too early to tell but I do think Twitter needs to pay better attention to how they handle the platform. If not Threads, a different platform could overtake them in the future.
Umar Arshad
Twitter will change its policy Now back to old twitter @namrata_arya
Masios
It's too early to tell yet, but it's a nice alternative that could put twitter in trouble