Will ChatGPT replace Google ?

Serdar Palaoglu
5 replies
As I build GPTAnywhere here on ProductHunt (a simple Chrome-Extension, which gives you the results of ChatGPT) here on Product Hunt, I started asking myself, does ChatGPT or AI the ability to replace Google? What do you think about it? By the way, here you can find GPTAnywhere on PH: https://www.producthunt.com/post...

Replies

Nik McFly
We have a lot of "no" answers. But it reminds me of the situation with Go game players that were shocked after Google Deepmind won the game versus the world champion and most of the players thought that it would take at least 10 years of waiting before the machine gets to the human level of playing this game.
Krishna Kumar
Yes and no. First a technicality. Remember that Google is much more than search. Even in search, ChatGPT is a summariser. That is it gives you one answer. There are situations when you would need differing views like when you are doing research. Breaking news is another are where Google will bet ChatGPT. ChatGPT works on (dated) corpus that has been fed to it. That is, it is not just in time. Breaking news is not part of any past corpus. Finally, (I think) ChatGPT is heavily English and USA oriented. There is a huge universe outside of these two
Richard Gao
This question gets asked a lot, but definitely no. 1. Google is free. ChatGPT is free too, but with compute costs through the roof, they've had to scale back on serving people. I cannot see this being sustainable in the long run, it will become paid soon and then that will give it a permanent disadvantage to Google. 2. No new knowledge. With how these AIs operate, they do not have knowledge after the date they were trained. GPT-3 has no knowledge of 2022, for example. Google is constantly updating with new knowledge. And this is not something you can solve easily. Training an AI is expensive, so training new data into the AI constantly is out of the question. 3. Diversity of sources. ChatGPT will only return one source: itself. Google search returns a multitude of sources, so if there is misinfo, you at least have others to compare it to. Google is not going anywhere: ChatGPT is a supplement, not a replacement.
Serdar Palaoglu
@richard_gao2 Wow Okay, thanks a lot for your insights!!