Why doesn't producthunt mark abandoned old projects?

Torsten P.
5 replies
It happens quite regularly that I click on "similar products" on producthunt only to realise that the product didn't exist anymore and the website expired, and the domain now shows a "domain for sale" page or something else which is rather useless. Producthunt could simply add a button "report abandoned/discontinued project" and then mark old hunted project which are not active anymore. (And remove the link.)

Replies

Jake Crump
We actually do have a report button! At the bottom of a launch page, just above 'Trending launches', there's a report button. You can select the best option and our team will review the post asap.
Launching soon!
@jakecrump Yes, I did not know we could report discontinued products. Thank you for letting us know. I will use it if I come across any such product again.
Torsten P.
@jakecrump thanks a lot for the quick reply, that 'button' is well hidden, I never noticed. It looks more like a word/title, not at all like a link. Any chance to make that more visible esp for older launch pages? Or organise a little hunt and offer one producthunt t-shirt or mug per month among those who successfully report abandoned launches.
Jan-Philipp Peters
Totally agree! Should be easy enough to do, if the link goes to a 404 or the domain has expired, the listing should not get "promoted" anymore. Imo, no listing needs to be deleted, but at least not surfacing it actively should make the user experiences a lot better.
Launching soon!
A great suggestion. Marking products that have been shut down and removing them from the suggestion of similar products will help new products occupy that space and help the user save time.