Why do people think that mass unfollowing after 2 days of mutual following is a good tactic?

Alex Nix
18 replies

Replies

Ivan Dudin
🀯 A disgusting strategy that has nothing to do with the networking of a healthy person
Eliza Crescini
I have the same question too. I don't think it's a good strategy. πŸ˜ͺ
Jao Japitana
@eliza_crescini I agree. I don't think this will make things better for anyone. Just keep the people you follow. No harm if they don't follow you back right?
Eliza Crescini
@jao_japitana Yeah, I agree! It's just so confusing why people would follow you and then unfollow you if you don't follow them. Like, what do you want to achieve on social media? Is it just for followers or valuable content that will help you learn new things?
Sherry L
@eliza_crescini @jao_japitana Totally have the same questions and I wonder the same thing, what are they trying to achieve? Recently went to a festival where if you follow their social account you would get a freebie and it was a good freebie too. I absolutely did it but intend to unfollow soon (though I have not) so is it effective in a way? As some people would forget and stay?
Eliza Crescini
@jao_japitana @shezzy04 that's a good question. hopefully, they will follow because they intend to not because they want to get something back in return.
Mansi Trivedi
They probably wanna seem cooler I guess πŸ˜…πŸ˜…
Julia Suontama
No idea :D "follow for follow" is doubtful in my opinion anyway haha
Daniel Burns
I've seen that tactic usually on Instagram and other social media with the main audience being young adults. Since influencers and celebrity accounts have a lot of followers and little people who they follow back, I believe they want to be just like them and act look 'cooler', hence the strategy.
Erick Philbert
Bro i always wondered, why people like to have many followers but following few... is this selfishness or how do we call it...!?
People be transactional - is what it is. Most people don't get on these platforms because they genuinely want to find connections and mingle. They're after the dough, and community-building is just a stepping stone to get there, I guess. Works the same in relationships and friendships. Everyone wants to be the popular kid, not everyone wants to be the universal fan.
Shashank Tiwari
The practice of mass unfollowing after a short period of mutual following on social media is often associated with certain strategies and goals, but it's important to note that this tactic can be seen as disingenuous or insincere by some users. Here are some reasons why people might engage in this behavior, and some of the criticisms associated with it: 1. Gaining Followers: Some individuals use mass following as a strategy to quickly gain followers. By following a large number of users, they hope that a percentage of those users will follow them back. After a few days, they then unfollow those who did not reciprocate to maintain a more favorable follower-to-following ratio. Criticisms: This tactic can be seen as manipulative and insincere because it may involve following users solely to gain followers, rather than because of a genuine interest in their content. It can also clutter the feeds of users who follow back and may lead to a lack of meaningful engagement. 2. Cleaning Up the Feed: Some users follow a large number of accounts initially to see if the content aligns with their interests. After a short period, they unfollow accounts that do not produce content they find valuable. Criticisms: While this approach may seem more genuine in terms of interest in content, doing it in a short timeframe can be perceived as inauthentic, as it doesn't allow time to genuinely engage with or appreciate the content of those you follow. 3. Managing a Favorable Follower-to-Following Ratio: Some users believe that maintaining a high follower count while following a minimal number of accounts makes their profile appear more influential. They unfollow others to maintain this ratio. Criticisms: Focusing solely on the appearance of influence can lead to a lack of authenticity and meaningful connections on social media. It may also alienate users who value genuine engagement over follower counts. In general, the mass unfollowing tactic is often criticized because it can come across as inauthentic, manipulative, and driven primarily by self-interest rather than genuine interest in content or meaningful connections. Social media platforms are designed for building connections and engaging with content, and tactics that exploit these systems for personal gain are typically discouraged by both platforms and users. Many platforms have policies and algorithms in place to detect and limit such behavior. Building a genuine and engaged following is usually a more sustainable and authentic approach to social media presence.
Ken Ito πŸ„
Whats this tactic.. first time I heard of it 😲
Emma Watson
"follow for follow" is doubtful in my opinion
Alex Nix
@emma_watson21 The question is not about follow to follow, but about when someone follows you, then you follow back, and when you followed back, the user unfollows you :)