Where and how did you come up with the idea of your startup?

Di
82 replies
I am far from a shopaholic, but recently I realised that I spend too many hours on online shopping in order to buy ordinary casual clothes. So, I decided to create a smart shopping assistant which helps to buy branded clothes cheaply and save time.

Replies

Jon Goltz
I spent my college days at one of the best Division III programs in the nation (UW-Whitewater) and the only Division II in my state, with some of the best leadership at that level (UW-Parkside). After initially wanting to work in college athletics, I turned to work on ideas to support the world of intercollegiate athletics from an entrepreneurial standpoint, such as writing on social media, podcasting, and even photography, with the hopes of putting my name out there to find a board to start a non-profit.
Kasper Kerem
I am a data guy especially the location and behavioural analytics. I have been working on the topic for the past 17 years and have seen all issues in and out. Many recurring and expensive, so we built a (location) data analytics for mobile phones and IoT devices that scale and focus on privacy - making it simpler and affordable for our customers
Di
@kasper_kerem wow, great! Who are your clients?
Kasper Kerem
@mironshe current focus is on the apps where location is not the main business, but secondary. Travel and delivery mainly
Katya Veremeichik
Ideas are easy, they come in 1$ per kilo:) What to do with the idea is a bigger question IMHO:) To turn an idea into a startup the minimum requirement is to take it through the idea validation funnel; and the funnel depends on your starting point: connections, SM audience, specifics of your idea, etc...
Di
@katyaveremeichik I agree with you. The idea is really free $. My question was, under what situation did this happen? What kind of pain did you see in the market?
Katya Veremeichik
@mironshe in our case the clients were requesting one thing over and over, and we decided to make it) the pain was the complexity of excisting approval solutions. For just one small feature - like exporting a .csv r an .xlxs of access approval history fro complience - they had to purchace heavy expensive software they have no other use for
Sunil Khedar
The most number of ideas originate when we see gaps in the market and the pain points that we feel while using a service. How to bring your idea to life is a completely different question.
Di
@sunilkhedar84 if the market really has a pain or a problem, then there will definitely be a solution
Sunil Khedar
@mironshe Solutions are not always there. Covid has shown us how people came up with new solutions to fulfil the changed market conditions.
Arvindh Sundar
I wish I had a better answer, but mine came up from a need to monetize my skills + my need to manage ADHD. (҂◡̀_◡́)ᕤ
Jay Dee
Was trying to solve my problem of not having an excellent and vast social media presence, which was hindering my growth efforts significantly. Built a SaaS (GrindZero Social) that would help me and others create and follow a system to achieve all the important tasks that need to be done on a regular basis.
Di
@gmrlbiz I'm sorry, but to be honest I didn't understand anything. What problem does your product solve?
Jay Dee
@mironshe the problem of having small or non-existing social media presence, which is extremely common for brands/creatives.
Cassandra
When I work late in the company, when I want to be free from the heavy data, I naturally have new ideas.
Di
@bgsubcassandra what do you do next with your ideas?
Cassandra
@mironshe I spend most of my time at work changing backgrounds for images, so I created a website to help me automate the work. It is now being tested before release and I think it will be a successful product
Ebba Cronqvist
Sounds like a really cool product. I can relate - I'm completely hopeless at both online and real-life shopping, still spend a lot of time doing it 😅 When it comes to my own idea; I love remote work, I think it's an absolute life upgrade, but I miss bouncing ideas, thinking out loud, and casually connecting with my coworkers. Realized that I always started conversations by asking if people were available if I could disturb them, and checking their calendars(which is wayyy too tedious that I wouldn't do it too often). Whereas in an office, I would just look around and talk to whoever was free/not focused. So right now I'm working on a really simple tool making availability more visible for my team, as well as other hybrid product teams.
Di
@ebbacronqvist I really wondered what you were doing. Let me know when you are done with the product, I will your beta tester =))
Matt Laybourn
My idea came by accident. I was looking at building social proof tools to help conversion rate in B2B, for content downloads. But the more I spoke to users, it was clear that understanding and measuring content performance was a bigger issue - so I focused harder on collecting user feedback on content, and analytics to support content measurement. Been a ride - but talking with users early, showed me 'my' version of the product wasn't what they wanted :)
Rehan Choudhry
My wife is a news anchor and was creating :60 video tributes for each of the first NYC Covid victims. We were in quarantine and I had a front row seat to the entire process. Hearing the pain that each person she interviewed was facing served as not only inspiration, but also a reminder of the pain I personally went through after facing losses. It sent me down a rabbit hole of research and testing until Chptr was born.
Di
@rehan_choudhry1 unfortunately, not all products come from something good. What does your product do? Why is it needed?
Marie
I spend my time looking up the 'whys' of trends. Who started it, where did it spin off to, how long did it take to take off? I know it sounds strange but it made me really want to dive in and then eventually sparked me thinking... someone may want this data!
Di
@marie_wff Hmm, why are you doing this? what is the final goal?
Marie
@mironshe For me it is just an interest I have had for a long time. Literally looking at the stats. When I realized no such site exists, I began building willfansfollow (dot) com. Not much to look at for now and experimenting. Not sure if I have an end goal in mind atm.
Bhavna Singh
I am currently working on mental wellness for people, I always had the urge to do something in this field but could not really getting started but the covid times make it the necessity for me to pull up my socks for this field and devote my full time and energy towards building it. I would like to discuss more about the mental wellness if anyone need it.
Ganesh Chavan
Great idea, But startup ideas must be like that they help in solving people's daily needs.
Di
@ganesh_chavan18 isn't buying clothes an everyday thing?
Ganesh Chavan
@mironshe It's a great idea, but if there are already big competitors in the market, you should have excellent planning and be unique and exciting.
owais 7osha
My idea came by accident. I am building an app directory for the people so they can enjoy games for free: You can check here: https://babyapk.com/among-us-apk/
Marie Nodet
We realized that marketers are always overwhelmed, trying to get leads everywhere. And still, most B2B businesses don’t convert more than 2% of their website visitors. Stacking Google Analytics + a form plugin + an emailing software doesn’t answer the problem: it’s complicated to know what leads are doing, how they came, and what marketing campaign worked. Lots of products exist, but they either cost a lot of money or need hard work and custom integrations to get the big picture about lead acquisition. That’s why we’ve created Plezi One : a freemium tool to analyze your website performance and make the most of your content strategy : leverage your website to increase conversion rate and get valuable information about your leads. PS : Today is the big launch day ! We are third 🚀 If you want to support us, it would be very appreciated !
Di
@marie_nodet I can't understand why GA doesn't solve the problem above? and I definitely want to be your client!
Bob Swinson
I actually have quite a few ideas for SaaS products, but most of the products I want to make in the queue are things that scratch my own itch.
John Otieno
After noticing a gap in the market for digital transformation for overlooked industries. I remember having a talk with a couple of potential customers and they all gave somehow the same answer and had the same problems that required a somehow similar solution
John Otieno
@mironshe true, probably depends on the problem at hand and ability to execute but at the end of the day service/product validation is key.
Andrew Isherwood
Before the pandemic i've always worked in an environment that would now be described as a "hybrid model". It was always difficult to know who would be in the office and if there would be anywhere to sit. As it quickly became apparent that this would be the norm I decided to build a digital Whereabouts board that we had in previous jobs (though it was on a whiteboard). From that inital idea we added several other features as enough customers requested them and that's how https://team-today.com has become what it is now.
Di
@andrew_isherwood1 I know many similar products. This is really the helpful thing. How are you going to promote it?
deepu
I got the idea based on my day to day work 👇 Managing window mgmt on my macOS was one of the day-to-day difficulties I used to face as a Product Manager. My usual day involves working with several teams on various things, therefore my workspace is a disaster, & I am constantly fighting myself to order those windows. That's when I was tinkering around the idea what if there was a 1-click way to organize the windows based on any situation I am in. Spaces for macOS - It's time to reclaim your workspace on macOS. https://bit.ly/3yMmz2F
Di
@pradeeb28 great idea and solution! How many installs do you have?
Irete Hamdani
I like to say that I didn't found my startup, my startup found me. I am my own consumer. I was looking to lead a more sustainable lifestyle and found how hard it was to find reliably sustainable products online. That's how askBelynda came to be. I launched on PH today, check it out! https://www.producthunt.com/post...