When Your New Employee Doesn't Show Up!

Adam Marx
3 replies
Please avoid doing this -- trust me, it just kills your reputation. Recently, my friend was expecting to go to work and train her new employee. Then this happened โ€” we were both shocked! ๐Ÿ‘‡๐Ÿ˜ฑ The person never showed up! Okay, some quick backstory: My friend hired someone to fill a general administrative role in her office. From what she told me after, the person seemed like a good fit, got through the interviews, and seemed like a good candidate. โœ… Hereโ€™s the problem: When they failed to show up, it wasnโ€™t even possible to contact them! I asked my friend: โ€œDid you try texting them? Sometimes there are emergencies, people get into car accidents, etc.โ€ ๐Ÿค” She then shocks me by saying: โ€œI tried โ€” they blocked my number and email!โ€ I was flabbergasted. ๐Ÿ˜ฑ๐Ÿ˜ณ To walk away from a job is one thing โ€” to each their own. But to simply fail to show up on the first day? And go even further to block the phone number & email of your new company?? ๐Ÿคฆโ€โ™‚๏ธ๐Ÿคฆโ€โ™‚๏ธ This is how you can absolutely decimate your reputation. ๐Ÿ“‰ And what does one gain from this?? If you donโ€™t want a job, donโ€™t take it โ€” but donโ€™t kill your reputation in the process over nothing. ๐Ÿ™„ Always think about your network โ€” because people remember things like this and it gets around. Call up โ€” even last minute โ€” and say you had an emergency or you had to focus on a different priority. Just anything to keep from leaving someone in the lurch. โ˜๏ธ Why close future doors on yourself if you donโ€™t have to?? ๐Ÿšช Great networking is all about preserving opportunities โ€” not burning bridges when you donโ€™t have to. Has anyone else experienced something like this too??

Replies

Melanie Crissey
Absolutely bizarre. There's gotta be more to this story, yea? It's hard to imagine why somebody might behave this way but it could have been a mental health crisis (caretakers confiscate a device) or even a financially abusive relationship, somebody getting access to somebody's phone to prevent them from having an opportunity. Such a helpless feeling when an employee or a teammate goes off the grid. Sorry your friend was affected by this situation!
Justin McAfee
This is something that HyperConnector aims to solve from a community perspective. I don't want to even waste a moment with someone who has a history of doing this in their past. It enables us to make sure that the people we are working with are there, present, and will be there in the future as dependable individuals. Thanks for sharing this!
Imtiyaz
Maybe he got another offer. But, this kind of behavior is not good.