When working from home, how do you handle distractions?

Katherine Connor
64 replies
Since I work from home, I have to admit that my worst nightmare is being distracted by things around the house. Even though I work remotely, I make a point of going into coffee shops and libraries to work as much as I can to improve my discipline. How about you?

Replies

Rads
I use ANC headphones, it really helps. I also work from cafes but that’s more of a hobby kinda thing 👀
Katherine Connor
@radwanaltaf It's fantastic to have tactics that enhance focus and make work a more enjoyable experience.
AmazingSylvia
It sounds like you need a strong discipline.
Katherine Connor
@sylvia_sheng Absolutely! Work-from-home is all about discipline. Do you have any tips or tricks for staying on track at home?
Isis Clements
Having a separate dedicated place/room to work.
Max
It's very difficult for me to work at home. I have children.
@mksaint13 I have 2 large dogs. Does that count? Lol.
German Arrowoods
Establish clear working hours.
Jos Bish
Planning my day in advance with a to-do list keeps me on track and minimizes distractions caused by uncertainty.
Karl Singleton
Taking short walks or doing quick exercises between work sessions helps me refresh and refocus.
Jeff Fajans
@karl_singleton Great strategy to replenish cognitive resources and refocus! Lots of science behind this.
Katherine Connor
@karl_singleton How do you find these short walks or exercises impact your energy and concentration throughout the day?
Latham Ryan
Having a dedicated break area away from the workspace helps me separate work from relaxation, minimizing distractions.
Diana Akchurina
Uff, it is a problem for me sometimes. I have decided to work with pauses. It helps to move, and do some staff. Sometimes, I only work, maling myself forget about the world around me
Alexander Watts
It is almost impossible to avaoid distractions but we eventually learn to work with distraction.
Jeff Fajans
@alexander_watts I like this reframe. If can't beat distractions, adapt and become less affected by them.
Katherine Connor
@alexander_watts Absolutely! It's true that completely avoiding distractions can be quite challenging
Jospeh Schiffmans
Turn off notifications on your phone and computer, and close unnecessary tabs or applications.
Katherine Connor
@jospeh_schiffmans Indeed! It's amazing how these simple actions can significantly improve focus and productivity during work hours.
Sometimes I just can't. Especially when the kids are home,.As a developer we need silence sometimes. For other situations, you can use the Pomodoro technique :)
Katherine Connor
@emre_bolcal I completely understand! It can be challenging to find silence, especially when the kids are at home. As a developer, uninterrupted focus is crucial.
Peter Henry
I get up and move around every 30-60 minutes to avoid getting stiff and mentally fatigued. I take a short walk, do some stretches, or grab a healthy snack to refresh my mind and body.
Katherine Connor
@peterhenry That's a fantastic practice! Taking short breaks for a walk, stretching, or grabbing a healthy snack works wonders in refreshing the mind and body, enhancing productivity and focus.
Indu Thangamuthu
My family is supportive, to not disturb me while working. But to save myself from self-created distractions, music helps me a lot.
Amelia Davis
The siren call of home chores is hard to resist.
Alejandra S. Perez
Work in progress! So hard especially as an entrepreneur. I started using some binairal beats music, setting timers, and forcing myself, telling myself I am getting better everyday and trying to wire my brain to believing it can change...
I work from home for 20 years... i been a massive procrastinator... Only thing that help is.... tuc tuc tuc.. discipline... there is no other way.
Katherine Connor
@mattcaine Discipline is the key, that "tuc tuc tuc" of staying focused. It's a vital tool against procrastination—there's simply no substitute for it.
Anish Sharma
I basically close the doors, earbuds in my ear and "madhurashtakam" song playing in the phone 😉. It relaxes my mind and once the mind is relax and focused, then no distraction......
Sean Ward
I’ve found that keeping things tidy and ensuring everything is clean and out away helps with overall productivity. If you’ve got laundry hanging all around, TV remotes randomly kn your desk, open snack bags laying around, random lights on, etc… you’re going to have more opportunities to get distracted thinking about all these random OCD things. But if everything is tidy and away and cleaned up, your mind can rest easy and just focus on work.
Katherine Connor
@weansard Absolutely! Maintaining tidiness and ensuring everything is organized significantly boosts overall productivity.
Lisa
Pomodoro timers are really helpful (at least for me)