What's your current favorite programming language and what killer feature is missing from it?

Laurentiu Ciobanu
16 replies
90% of the time I'm writing something it's in TypeScript (and I love it so much) and the features I miss the most are Go's defer statements and the macro system from Rust. What about you?

Replies

Alexandru Ifrim
Depends for what. Fast-to-market for web/mobile, simple language stack => gotta go Javascript / Typescript. Would love some meta programming directives in Typescript. High-intensity code that needs to be blazingly fast => C / C++ / Go / Rust. Learning Go atm.
Laurentiu Ciobanu
@aifrim Go it's great! Rust is really awesome too. Working on a way to build native binaries in TS. Here's a POC https://github.com/laurci/ts-llvm
Savian Boroanca
Python is my fav. It suits my work just fine. What do you think about it?
Laurentiu Ciobanu
@savian_boroanca I kinda hate python. Sorry :( I just don't like the syntax... I guess I'm a C-style fanboy :)
Amalia Ghenescu
Java fan here. 🚀
Liviu Năsoi
TypeScript for me too! ✅
Laurentiu Ciobanu
@liviu_nasoi what's your fav language feature?
Alexandru Frentescu
Working on a project now in Scratch with a 8-year-old, does this count? :)
Adriana Virlan
@alexandru_frentescu1 yeah, I think so. What's that about?
Philip Snyder
I love JS - I want type checking but I haven't taken the leap to learn typescript. Every time I justify not learning typescript in my head by saying "I should be building fast - learning typescript will slow that down" Any ts guides you reccomend?
Octavian Codrea
@philipsnyder There should be something on FreeCodeCamp. Also, I guarantee that once you switch to Typescript you'll never want to go to vanilla JS again.