What's the worst product you've ever built?

Chris W
6 replies
I've built a lot of products in my life. When I look back, some of them were comically bad ideas. I'll start: A decentralized social media platform (a thousand people have tried this) An augmented reality company (before there were any usable augmented reality headsets) What are yours?

Replies

Jon Wesselink
I'm an award-winning filmmaker, and my first gen of making commercial videos was all over the place, but one that was reoccurring was outstandingly bad. I'd pair with a dance studio - their niche was relaxed, no pressure, no stress. That also meant no commitments and no practice. What I didn't realize is that the lack of pressure in these dancers turned my 2-minute video from 6 hours of editing into 200 hours of editing to dodge all the bad moves and cover up mistakes. 10/10 would not do again 💀
Chris W
@jonwesselink Hahah that's a great story. It's a classic example of - "Future me will deal with that"
Joep van den Bogaert
If the founders of Airbnb had given up a bit earlier, it would also have gone down as a comically bad idea - have people pay to sleep over on an air mattress in your house 😅 Bad ideas can foster amazing companies and the other way around.
Hjalte Niehorster
I once created a Facebook before Facebook existed, it was meant to digitally meetup with your bar friends… and it design was a bit puke 🤮inspired.
Gurkaran Singh
Ah, the classic "learning experiences" in product development. Your examples remind me of my early attempts at creating a self-cooking oven and a teleportation app (spoiler: they didn't quite pan out). It's all in the name of innovation, right?