What's the best city in the US to work from (outside Silicon Valley) as a SaaS Founder and why?

Philipp Schwengel
26 replies

Replies

Dhruv Bhatia
I'd say Vancouver, Canada. It's not in the US, but the SaaS scene is 😍
Philipp Schwengel
@dhruv_bhatia completely the opposite side of Canada ahah - anything that comes to mind in favour of Vancouver over Toronto?
Dhruv Bhatia
@phil_schwengel haha lol...I used to live in Toronto. I like the weather and the natural beauty of Vancouver (hills, greenery and the Pacific Northwest)
Ash
@phil_schwengel @dhruv_bhatia +1 to Vancouver. Lived in both cities and the proximity to the mountains and Pacific Ocean is a big plus.
Michal Jackowski
i heard great things about SaaS community in NY
Philipp Schwengel
@mjackowski and in terms of cost of living it's comparable?
James Novotny
Costa Rica. LOL. Costa Rica did just implement their Digital Nomad Visa which allows a non-citizen to live there for 1 full year without having to border jump every 3 months as it is now. I'm seriously considering it myself. I was there for a month in January this year. It was awesome. The infrastructure was pretty reliable, although nothing compared to the U.S. Wifi speed wasn't bad. Definitely doable.
Eduard PochΓ©
@james_novotny Gracias! 😊 How would you rate your stay? On what area of CR did you stay? How about cost of living?
Robin Singhvi
Have you considered Portland, OR? Much more affordable, young, progressive demographics, great coffee, beer, food and a growing startup community!
Philipp Schwengel
@robinsinghvi Was not on my radar at all, but your description sounds fantastic. Will definitely give it a closer look. Thank you! :)
Robin Singhvi
@phil_schwengel Absolutely! A close 2nd would be Denver - great weather, more sunny days than Miami and San Diego (it's true!) and also has a ton of good food, beer, coffee and 🌳 πŸ˜‰
Rick Turoczy
@robinsinghvi @phil_schwengel Let me know if I can answer any questions for you on Portland. Always happy to help!
Brenna Donoghue
Obviously not in the US, but with great proximity, Toronto has become an incredible tech market and costs are (a bit) lower in terms of cost of living and wages.
Ana Mogul
I have to mention Toronto (yes outside the US) but has a great tech community and cheaper!
Saurabh Bhambry
Not specific to SaaS, but I came across an infographic based on CNBC report that you might useful. πŸ‘‰ https://www.visualcapitalist.com... It ranks US states best for business based on 10 different categories ranging from cost of living, ease of doing business to access to capital etc. Re-indexing the states based on parameters that you care most about could be helpful.
Jesse Ezell
Orange County, CA. Because it's just the best place to live. Orange County is the home of SendGrid, Oculus, Blizzard Entertainment, Rivian, and many other big names. The big cities are just dirty terrible messes. Why would you force yourself to live in one when everyone is going remote?
Isabel Hely
If you're looking for a city with a large population of tech workers and software engineers who are looking for new jobs and opportunities, then I would recommend Seattle.
Hifsa Ahmed
There are many great companies that have offices in Madison, so it's easy to find one that fits your needs and wants.
jenny anams
This blog is so nice to me. I will keep on coming here again and again. Visit my link as well.. http://www.faristarescue.com/