What's one thing that you were skeptical about, but ended up being beneficial for your business?

Chris Sarca
8 replies
For me, the one thing I was skeptical about was communities, hard to gather people and keep them engaged, easy for them to lose interest, but once you get a few people that are enthusiastic enough, it starts getting better and better. Having a strong community behind a product, even if that community is small, it's worth a lot in the long run.

Replies

Stephen Thillman
Seeing marketing as an investment rather than an expense
Mansoor Muhammad
@stephenthill very true, a lot of older companies I've worked at don't seem to get it but it makes the biggest difference to generating business once you implement this.
Murali Gottumukkala
Blogs, i never thought this would drive traffic
Carmela Padasas
Affiliate marketing is underrated
Utkarsh Gupta
We are building a SaaS platform for online tutoring use cases. Initially, contact discovery and cold calling were things I was quite skeptical about. However, the more we started doing it the better it looked. It has got us customers that retain longer and pay more than the ones we have attracted through conventional marketing channels. Love to hear your thoughts on this @chris_sarca
Chris Sarca
@ug911 I agree, they feel more appreciated that way and more likely to stick around for longer and recommend your products, I noticed this as well, but it can get out of hand once you go beyond that initial step, and it turns out to be more convenient and helpful to go through conventional marketing channels. For me, the one thing I was skeptical about was communities, hard to gather people and keep them engaged, easy for them to lose interest, but once you get a few people that are enthusiastic enough, it starts getting better and better. Having a strong community behind a product, even if that community is small, it's worth a lot in the long run.