What project management process do you use in your early stage startups and small teams?

Mir Shin
16 replies

Replies

Pavel Kukhnavets
I'd say, proper task organization is one of the most essential steps in the early stage of the project management process. To plan and control tasks correctly, managers need to break down all their activities into smaller parts as well as define dependencies and key milestones. They use professional PM tools for these aims. Luckily, most of these tools offer WBS (work breakdown structure) systems to divide tasks and drag-and-drop functionality for determining dependencies and setting milestones. Additionally, these platforms often come with templates and useful examples for an easy start. For example, you may explore available project milestones examples https://blog.ganttpro.com/en/pro... before creating your own milestones. These examples will help you measure the progress and show how your key tasks approach the goals that have been set.
Shreya Gupta
Long term goal break into short task set priorities and timelines, keep weekly check and keep iterating as needed. Use easy interface tools
Marianna
Hey Mir - I use monday.com. More specifically I create a time lined project plan - usually Gantt Chart. It's a plus if you also create a risk plan, this helps to fight future project scope.
Mir Shin
@marianna_nk thanks for the reply! How do you create a risk plan usually? For your current project for example
Marianna
@300kg For sure! ✨In the initiation phase of a project, create the Project Charter and identify potential obstacles and delays by brainstorming with the team. ✨During the Planning Phase and the project kick-off milestones and tasks are defined. Usually timeline and budget are discussed. That's where the Management Plan - Risk Plan - starts forming... Conduct the Risk Assessment as follows: ⭐Identify all the possible risks. You can use the fishbone diagram (cause-effect diagram) shows the causes of a possible risk. ⭐Conduct a Risk assessment by considering the level of 1) likelihood 2) and the impact of a risk happening. ⭐Create a Risk Register: All risks from low-medium-high level. Create a mitigation plan only for the medium & high level risks.
Krzysztof Czubak
I use Monday. I actually hired senior ux/ui designer consultant to help me build project management for my 5 person team. It works great. I am able to manage my team internal projects as well as external without much hustle.
Mir Shin
@kc_krzysztof thank you for your feedback! Why do you hire UI / UX designer for project management ?
Krzysztof Czubak
@300kg sure. Initially, I was looking for PM to help us out. However my contact from one of market leading company suggested me senior ux/ui designer who was leading a team of 20+ designers and had a nack from developing processes. He shown a deep understanding of problems we face and I've decided to give it a go. It was a good decision. He taugth us philosophy behind building processes, documentation and task management. This really took us to the next level in terms of organisation and on time value delivery.
Mir Shin
@kc_krzysztof I see. Any learnings you could share around that philosophy of building processes and documentation? How does it work now? Thanks!
Oxana
Hi Mir! Have a kick off meeting to discuss project scope and goals. Build hi-level roadmap without diving into the small tasks, so the main targets and deadlines are clear for the team. Build MVP and then iterate based on the feedback. And what's your approach?
Mir Shin
@oxana_ivanova thank you for the reply, Oxana! I liked the simplicity of your approach. I actually came up with our own process, since Agile (Scrum / Kanban) don't really work for early stage startups ( I used both for over 16 years ). We still run "Sprints" though, 1 week long.
Oxana
@300kg cool, I do understand what you mean, I do agree that classic Agile is redundant for the startups. Thanks for sharing your approach!
Gurkaran Singh
Hey there! As a tech enthusiast with a diverse background in startups and agencies, I've had my fair share of experience with project management processes. When it comes to early stage startups and small teams, I find that a flexible approach works best. I personally like to mix elements of Agile and Scrum methodologies to keep things organized yet adaptive to changes. What about you? What project management process do you swear by in your tech endeavors? Let's swap some stories and tips! Cheers, Gurkaran Singh