What is the role of workplace culture for enhancing employee engagement?

Qudsia Ali
28 replies

Replies

Olga Trykush
Love this topic! I guess that the workplace culture is the first thing to start caring about the company branding. You analyze the values, mission, the vision of the company, translate all findings into the company's identity (style, personality, communication), and then you need to think about the activities that will help your employees to understand the vibe of the company. You can try dozens of different approaches, but their style should be the same, otherwise, people will never get what stands behind the company.
Your company must invest in culture on a regular basis to reap the benefits of an engaged workforce.
Deepa from True Sparrow
@daniel_henry4 That is so true. Would love to know more what different things you think a team can do!
Vaibhav is SelfTalk.ing
For any employee to reach peak potential of themselves, I believe the environment and the 'comfortableness' is indeed important.
Launching soon!
@realdesigntack I agree work environment plays a significant role in employee productivity and engagement.
Arun Pariyar
To give you a small example that I saw within the company I worked. After going remote first during the COVID we saw that people felt a bit disconnected to another teams in the company lacking touch points. Before COVID the office itself served as a glue to connect people across team be it at lunch break / coffee breaks or just passing through someone. Now that we are moving to a hybrid model that is still not mandatory we needed to create a stir so the people and culture manager suggested the team heads to have team days at the office so two days of the week where people come to office in person by their own choice and as team saw that other in the team were going to office and the incentive to see their team pulled them and that also served in re-established cross team communication albeit, slowly. Without our people and culture manager this process would have delayed. I think this example for me shows the value of workplace culture that guides the people working in it and we together as people form the culture which is organic, interactive, team focused and core to the success of the company 🚀.
Julien Delange
I believe that culture is everything. Defining a good culture will raise employee morale and trust in the leadership of the company. At Codiga, we have principles about how employees should perform. One employee mentioned months ago that he was working hard and harder than others. After looking at the statistics, I realized he was performing better than others and gave him a raise and also communicated to the company that what he did was an example for the company. Not only did this move motivate the employee but pushed others to "shine" and be more active.
Gideon Oni-Becsen
It goes a long way, as far as determining the overall success and well-being of the company, the people make the company after all. Having a culture fosters a common mindset among the employees. Everyone is headed in the same direction, chasing a common objective. It binds everyone together and everyone sees the company as though it was theirs, so they all commit zealously to it.
Rucha Joshi
Absolutely agree with what people have said here already. Adding to that - creating a healthy workplace culture has become even more important as so many companies went remote. Keeping the team engaged and helping them develop social bonds is key to not only better work outcomes but also a healthier and happier team.
Pablo Fatas
I see a lot of good general culture adived but more specifically I think the biggest reason people might not engage is the feeling that they are talking into the void. You need to positively re-enforce engagement and make sure that people feel heard. I’ve definitely seen people with great insights who don’t bring them up because “Its not going to change anything” Obviously a generally open culture where people do not get put down or shutdown to harshly is important.
Dylan Merideth
Its pivotal, I echo the sentiment of many on this but I also question how do you successfully invest to improve workplace culture without turnover?
DaveLittle
The stronger a company's culture, the better employees understand what is expected of them and what they're working toward. Engaged employees are more likely to stay happy, motivated, and committed to your company. Overall, an engaged employee is more. QuickPayPortal
Adnyesh Dalpati
Culture plays important role on how each individual interacts with each other. This not just top to bottom but sideways also. Culture sets up the type of interaction peers have as well how they work. For e.g. A leader who takes the ownership of issues/problem within the organization for this team, his subordinates members do the same for their respective teams. A peers do not engage themselves in small talk the person who wants to also doesn't get engaged into such a thing since he doesn't get the audience for the same. If the leader and team doesn't judge others on basis of their time in and out and doesn't give leverage to those who are working late or long hours but on tasks completed automatically everyone in the team does the same.
Al Taylor
We've surveyed millions of people through the Top Workplaces program - the biggest driver of engagement is feeling valued and appreciated. Culture cascades down from the top team - so to really boost engagement the top team needs to take time to tell people they have done a good job. That 10 second slack message saying 'well done' can go a long way! People lower down the organization will start mimicing the behavior of the most senior people.
etimbuk jerry
Its pivotal, I echo the sentiment of many on this but I also question how do you successfully invest to improve workplace culture without turnover? How money online
Chris B
Companies need to invest the time upfront with employees (at all levels) for training purposes but to also make them feel welcome. This has become critical now remote work is very much the norm. Transparency on goals, expectations and development opportunities from the start will also enhance engagement in my experience.
Juan Da Ros
Pharma industry worker who had experience working from home and also from the office. I think the culture of the company is key in enhancing employee engagement. Workers are smart and they interact with each other, they know when someone is not being treated fairly because of some reason or even his/her gender. It´s also harder for employees to stay engaged doing their jobs with grit if they don´t believe what the company does or if they think their tasks aren´t useful. From the CEO to the janitor, everyone need to believe that their work is helping the company achieve the next milestone....and the management team should be willing to put some effort to make people believe that. Also, the beneefits for the employees are super important if you don´t want them to talk badly about you. It doesn´t matter if someone arrives 5 minutes late or has to leave early one day because his/her child´s event....it´s not costly for the employer and the employee will appreciate that A LOT beacause being treated like a person and not a machine is so uncommon this days.... One last thing, if you are at a position of power, stop pretending that each win is yours and comes from all of the wisdom you have, be grateful with the people below you....they are the legs of your organization and they will be willing to push through hard time if you recognize their role and minimize yours.