What is the biggest lesson you have learned building a product?

Stephen
29 replies

Replies

Mher Hovakimyan
You don't need a product to validate your hypotheses.
Maya A
Don't over-engineer: ship fast and often!
Stephen
@mayaa.17 Perfectionism can definitely be the enemy of progress.
Natalia Smith
Listen to your customers!
Eylul Savas
Learn from failure, be open to pivot & embrace success!
Dr Doomain
Talk to customers first, start marketing before building, and know where you will find them and how much money/time it will be to reach them.
Stephen
@doomain So you can save time and resources while increasing your chances of success.
Denise Campbell
Malleable mindset: be willing to adapt, adjust, and be nimble with the process!
Kevin Lu
Talk to customers, ship fast, keep iterating
Stephen
@dot_brand the entrepreneurial trifecta for success: Listen, execute, and evolve.
Kane
Focus, ultimate, reputation, fast.
James Tedy
Build a product with a problem to solve and build the minimum features customer needs.
Stephen
@james_tedy By taking a lean approach and focusing only on the essentials, you can minimize development costs, speed up time-to-market, and ensure that your product resonates with your target audience. This approach would also allow you to gather feedback from your early customers and iterate based on their needs and preferences, which is crucial for building a product that truly delivers value and drives customer satisfaction.
Isaiah Trotter
Doing it by yourself really is harder. I wish I had someone else so I could not only split the load, but so we could gas each other up and stay excited together. Building alone in your apartment gets kinda stale after a year.
Stephen
@isaiah_trotter I feel you Isaiah! Building a product can be a long and challenging journey, and having a partner to share the load and keep the energy level high can make all the difference. Collaboration not only divides the workload but also brings fresh perspectives, ideas, and accountability to the table. It's easier to stay motivated and overcome setbacks when you have someone to support you and celebrate the successes with you. Plus, it's always more fun to share the journey with a like-minded partner than to go it alone. So keep searching for that perfect co-founder or partner to help take your product to the next level! Best of luck!
Elly
Acceptance that I'm not always right. 😁
Brianna Swartz
@elly_cho How do I upvote this twice? :D
Stephen
@elly_cho 100% - it's a sign of humility, open-mindedness, and a growth mindset and it takes courage. Accepting that you're not always right can create space for creativity, innovation, and collaboration, as you allow others to contribute their unique insights and expertise.
Frida
Customers are not as interested in our product as we thought. 🥲
Stephen
@frida_lee It can be disheartening to learn that your customers are not as interested in your product as you had hoped. However, it's important to remember that this feedback is valuable and can help you make informed decisions about how to move forward. Setbacks can be a powerful catalyst for growth and innovation!
Frida
@stephen_smith67 I feel the same way. It was a bit tough to hear at first, but now I'm okay. I'm just thinking about the next steps we can take to make ourselves even better, based on that feedback. 💪
PM Optimizer
Test your pricing with some people to have a hint of how much you should charge. Sounds obvious but when you're in a hurry and determined to push things forward, you miss some things.
Stephen
@pm_optimizer Pricing can be a critical factor in the success of your product, and testing it with potential customers is a smart way to gauge their willingness to pay and refine your pricing strategy. This feedback can help you strike the right balance between affordability and profitability, and avoid leaving money on the table or pricing yourself out of the market.
Andrea Aceves
Never say never! Anything is possible!