What is the #1 thing employers should be doing to support their employees mental health & wellbeing?

Jade Mackenzie
62 replies
Motivational posters, free snacks and yoga don't cut it in my book. Neither does the stock standard Employee Assistance Program that a lot of businesses have in place, as they really only help folks once they're already at crisis point. What do you think employers should be doing to proactively help prevent burn out amongst their teams?

Replies

Rahul Jain
I think a focus on wellness and fitness is important. At our company we keep monthly fitness challenges. It adds some friendly banter and adds motivation in workouts
Neri Raanani
How about 1/2 days a week the company closes the office at 5 pm sharp, no one is allowed to stay. Acting more on work-life balance rather than just saying that in interviews with new employees.
Neri Raanani
@liz_obee Love the idea of it! 🤪 I see that you're also launching this week - when are you planning your launch?
Jade Mackenzie
@neri_raanani this is great - there's a lot of power in the whole team being offline at once so people can effectively switch off and not feel like work is piling up around them while they're not online!
Elizabeth Obee
@neri_raanani we are! Launching on Weds 🚀 looks like you’re launching Tues? Good luck!! We’ll be sure to check out Fortitude and share with our team.
Neri Raanani
@liz_obee Yup launching today! Good luck with your launch, we'll surely be there to support you as well.
Chetan Natesh
@neri_raanani What if a client is only free at 5:30 and they are ready to give a meeting only at that time?
Elizabeth Obee
Asking them how they are, and if anything's on their mind, so stress isn't internalised or built up...
Jade Mackenzie
@liz_obee so simple, yet so important. So many manager / employee interactions are goal / task / project / output focused - we need to also allow adequate time for authentic & open dialogue about wellbeing and the 'whole self'.
Elizabeth Obee
@jade_mack so true. Amazing how easy it is just to ask someone how they are. Huge de-stressor to have a quick chat!
John Morrison
Provide a flexible & asynchronous working model. It allows people to live the life they want/need.
Jade Mackenzie
@john_morrison1 couldn't agree more. We can't expect to get the best out of people in the workplace if the work arrangement doesn't allow them to live a life that actually makes them happy. Employees will merely be surviving, rather than thriving.
Chetan Natesh
@john_morrison1 What if service to clients involves work at a particular time only? What will you do about the routine required for that work?
John Morrison
@chetan_natesh maybe managers and employees can align on shifts that works the best for them? We all have meetings and responsibilities that we need to attend to. So it needs to be flexibility where flexibility permits. That might mean taking a longer lunch break one day or starting earlier another day.
Alessandra Mikail
Having hybrid working in place - the balance between working from home and going into the office reliefs a lot of stress from employees that can impact their mental health.
Jade Mackenzie
@alessmkl it sure does! The hybrid model really is the perfect arrangement in my view.
Anoir Houmou
Listen to your employees and have empathy! From experience, most times people just want to have someone listen to them and understand them. If they think that taking a day off will make them feel better, then so be it
Jade Mackenzie
@anoirhoumou 100% - so much value in ensuring employees feel heard. Empathetic leadership plays a large part in determining the success or failure of teams and companies of any size!
Aditya Rajput
The #1 thing would be, creating a free-speech environment. Not in the existing way, where it's all "free speech" on the surface, but it really isn't. Free speech in the real sense. Where every team member has an accessible channel to share ideas without silent repercussions. I think if employees feel safe to share ideas and disagree with bosses, the employers might see better contributions and lesser attrition rates. What say @jade_mack ??
Jade Mackenzie
@adityasinghrajput agree! A psychologically safe workplace, where people can bring their full selves to work and where differing opinions and healthy debate is encouraged, is essential!
Martine Hammar
Using their eyes and ears! Not every employee can articulate, or even understand exactly how they are feeling.
Jade Mackenzie
@martine_hammar good point - this is why EQ, or emotional intelligence (comprising self-awareness, self-regulation, motivation, empathy and social skills), is such a critical leadership skill.
Martine Hammar
@jade_mack yes totally agree and I think that's often missing in a manager who does everything "by the book." It's also fairly difficult to assess in an interview
Brittany Salas
Back their employee's investment into their personal health and well-being with a commitment of their own. It's not just about setting new regulations but rewarding positive behavior.
Jade Mackenzie
@brittany_salas couldn't agree more! Leaders need to be role modelling wellbeing themselves to set the right example / tone / culture from the top and genuinely encouraging & supporting their teams to take proper holidays, switch off, rest when they're sick, use flexible work arrangements to achieve balance in their lives etc
Rupert Denton
I reckon a 4 day work week is definitely the sweet spot. People can fill their cup. Trying to solve mental health etc through the office I think is probably not as effective as giving people space to properly look after themselves and, ideally, head off mental health issues, burnout etc. I’d argue we do this better with the networks and people in our lives that aren’t inside our workplace (of course, colleagues who are also friends is different).
Jade Mackenzie
@rupert_denton this is really good point - giving folks more time with the people / networks / activities that they genuinely lean on to 'fill their cup' makes a lot of sense. I've been lucky enough to work a 4 day week for a while now and can vouch for it's positive impact and benefits.
Raquel Yesner
Recharge days! Every 3 months- a company wide day off work to unwind and look after your well-being in a preventive way :)
Jade Mackenzie
@raquel_yesner I hear you - our Vouch Recharge Days are THE BEST.
Apollon Latsoudis
In my humble opinion, there is no golden rule as different company environments and employee dynamics require different approaches. I found out that breathing sessions, anxiety removal techniques, use of natural lighting in the office, relaxing music and continuous support on personal level (advice, meetings in non office spaces etc) have greatly assisted employees. Having said that, having a clear vision that can unite people, is of utmost importance. Otherwise, you are just running a company with employee perks.
Jade Mackenzie
@apollon440 Agree - the needs of companies and teams will differ greatly, and I love what you've said here about a clear & compelling vision to unite and align people. A lot of power in that!
Katya Veremeichik
Pay them well. That supports my well-being, for sure:)
Jade Mackenzie
@katyaveremeichik you're absolutely right - empathy & extra time off won't help if people simply feel underpaid and under-valued.
Jason Andries
I think ensuring your employees they can come to you with whatever they want to talk about, is a great start. A lot of employees have some kind of fear/stress to address certain things to their employers because of the fear of silent repercussions. Furthermore listening and understanding their point of view instead of just listening and not doing anything with what they're saying is important as well. Create a company culture where your employees feel valued and heard, and you'll get a lot in return in my opinion.
Jade Mackenzie
@jason_andries1 couldn't agree more. Being approachable as a leadership team and ensuring there is psychological safety in the workplace is critical. It significantly elevates the quality of feedback, ideas and opinions shared which can, in turn, enhance the overall employee experience. Thanks for adding your voice to the discussion!
Julia Putzeys
The company leadership really needs to lead by example - taking time for vacation, etc. if they don’t do so, even if they encourage their employees to, it won’t foster an authentic or safe environment
Jade Mackenzie
@julia_putzeys so true - role modelling wellbeing is critical for leaders. Taking time off, resting when sick instead of "soldiering on", managing work hours & having healthy boundaries, prioritising family, carving out time for exercise, normalising discussions about mental health etc - when leaders do these things, it all sends such a powerful message.
phprunner
- Reasonable salary - No deadlines or overtime - Generous vacation policy
Jade Mackenzie
@sergey_kornilov1 it sounds so simple, doesn't it? Crazy how so many businesses get it so wrong and then wonder why their teams are disengaged or burnt out.
Celeste Atkins Payton
Provide learning opportunities to help with life, not just specific to one's job duties. Access to financial education, parenting, and caregiving courses would help support some of the life issues that impact one's ability to work and deal with the stress of personal issues at the same time.
Joanne Hurley
Be consistent and have a good memory. I have worked in places where I have consistently worked overtime and the one time you have to say no, you are demonised rather than reflecting it must be genuine due to past history or any other example of just being judged in the moment as opposed to your whole history.
Chetan Natesh
If your employee's laptop is not working that's your problem. If he is going through a breakup - that is also your problem, think in this way. This doesn't mean become nosy, it means be empathetic.