What if people needed to pay for privacy?

Umar Saleem
17 replies
Privacy has been a significant global concern for many years. A recent study by the University of Colorado Boulder revealed that the average smartphone user would invest an additional $5 for a standard application ('app') that refrains from monitoring their location, contact lists, and other personal data. With lifelogging devices such as Narrative reshaping this landscape, the prospect of individuals paying for their privacy shortly seems increasingly plausible. Could your company capitalize on this emerging trend?

Replies

David Laubner
Would it be an app that monitors the privacy issues for all of the other apps on the phone?
Joep van den Bogaert
I think many have tried to create privacy-first alternatives to common apps and consumers have time and again shown not to really care about it. Not enough to pay for it anyway, if there are free alternatives.
Atticus Li
I would pay for it, and I have paid for it. But I might be in the minority
Jon Wesselink
I agree with @jopie, its like Tinder. People say they want real connections and not some place to find a pool of ladies, but there is a different between what people say they want vs how they act. So the perception drives people's desires even if they say differently. People want to be famous and will give their data to get there I guess. Or they want no cookies but don't want to click those website buttons all the time.
Edena
@jonwesselink Tinder is better described as the most popular platform that primarily facilitates connections in dating, rather than a pool of ladies. Sounds like those people are behaving perfectly reasonably.
Jon Wesselink
@edena Please forgive me. My point is that you can match with many people at once rather than other apps like Siingly, which focuses you on one person at a time. So, although Tinder describes itself like that, people tend to use it differently imo. That's why other people use alternatives because of the majority use it with the perception of 'more the merrier' I suppose :)
Edena
@jonwesselink The point still stands that Tinder is the most popular dating app, and one using it if they want a serious relationship is perfectly logical. Whether innovative dating apps fulfill their purpose or not, they wouldn’t be much use to most if not enough people are using them. And it wouldn’t make someone a hypocrite using a huge platform instead. The more the merrier works for more “deep connection” options as well. The minority that you are talking about of these serious Tinder users is how many times more than the entire Siingly userbase..
Massimo Chieruzzi
I'd prefer a "reasonable privacy" free approach. I'm not too concerned about privacy, but I do feel some big company behaviors are spiraling out of control. So all in all I'd prefer a good middle ground approach that keeps products free. Still a paid version for people that really wants 100% privacy could be a nice to have for a lot of users. But likely not many enough to make it worth for the company.
Yogita Gholap
Although some people might be willing to pay for better privacy, it's important to realize that not everyone will be willing to do so. Given these factors, it's important for companies to be clear and upfront about how they handle privacy. Making sure users read and understand privacy policies before using an app helps them know what they're getting into and make smart choices about their personal data.
Ricardo Batista
If you choose the right tools, you are already paying for privacy.
Alice Badger
It's been a major focus of our platform. We haven't settled on pricing yet -- still gathering market research on that. Right now our research is incling towards people prefering to pay for privacy. I think people are becoming increasingly aware of the "cost of a free product" and are willing to pay a monetary price for their liberty. There of course is another factor in this -- how you market it. One of our values is the privacy of the customer, meaning we won't show any ads and we will not sell user data. I think making it clear to users that the reason you are charging is to provide such a service is key to whether or not they become customers.
Karan Soni
I think the topic of privacy in this digital world has been a topic of debate from a long time. And I still haven't find many trustable solutions till now But I have another doubt on this topic only. How about if people get a solution where they can maintain all of their data in a single place and also get a chance to share that data only with the people whom they trust? (And that also with complete privacy where without user's permission, no one can access the data except the user) Might sound vague thought but I think this can be a very much valuable solution for people. Would love to know the views of community
Flowister
Privacy by default. There are smarter ways to capitalize without doing things on the moral edge.
Gurkaran Singh
As an entrepreneur immersed in the tech world, I've seen firsthand the increasing value placed on privacy. The idea of individuals actually paying for their own privacy certainly raises some intriguing questions. It's fascinating to ponder how companies could potentially capitalize on this emerging trend. What do you think, could this be the next big shift in the tech industry?
Mahindra Pasman
Then there is no privacy in world
Uthappa Robb
I think many have tried to create privacy-first alternatives
Imran Razak
I think privacy should be a standard thing. What we’ve become accustomed to is being the product.