What exactly is the purpose of the "points" we gain and what is the best way to gain more points?

Austin Armstrong
14 replies

Replies

Mykyta Chernenko
I think that the best way to get points is to do something that brings value to other people on the platform: - to try products an share a genuine opinion - to start insightful discussions - to contribute with your own launches - support products that you truly find fascinating - interact with people and sure, to be consistent
Artyom Sviridov
Reputation, basically. And gamification :) You gain them through communication here: enter discussions, create yours, upvote & receive upvotes, all that stuff.
Austin Armstrong
@sviridov Thanks for your input on this. Really appreciate. Helps me understand more on how things are done here in PH
Tanmay M
@sviridov That's the first answer that came to my mind
1. Gamification: PH's form of gamification to get users to engage in the platform as much as possible. It's also a way of getting new users as a platform with high user engagement is more attractive. 2. Social Conditioning: A way of social conditioning to encourage good behavior. Karma points are given by other people, which makes PH users more likely to leave "socially acceptable" responses or discussions. It's a great way of differentiating itself from other platforms - PH's community is actually warmer and friendlier than most. 3. Verification: Karma allows others to verify whether or not an account is to be trusted or not (bot, fake account) especially during launch upvotes and reviews. Often upvotes from those with low or no karma won't count. I've seen products with lower number of upvotes outrank products with a higher number of upvotes purely by the quality of the voters/followers.
Grizzlius Maximus
@rockyperezz Great points there, Roberto. As an indie video game creator, I do see the elements of gamification built into multiple aspects of PH. Karma, badges, upvotes, top product spots on launch days, etc.
Austin Armstrong
@rockyperezz Yes everyone here is just so welcoming and they genuinely interact which is just amazing. Love the info you just gave. Gives me a better idea of how things work here in PH
Phil Meyer
@rockyperezz I wish I'd known about PH years ago. All this time under a rock hanging around in the wrong subreddits, wondering where people who *really* create & like the new stuff were... doh!
Gabriele Mazzola ๐Ÿงญ
Not much purpose, I think. Perhaps it will give you more credibility when people check out your profile?
Shivam Garg
it will give you more credibility when you will launch your product
AmazingSylvia
Reputations I think
So far I have yet to figure out the real use case of this but one thing I understood is more points mean that person is active on PH and can be helpful on the launch.
Alexandr Builov
Hey @sviridov, appreciate the clarity. ๐Ÿ‘ So the points are like a power boost, rewarding us for staying active & engaging. ๐Ÿ˜Š They could also serve as an indicator of credibility for new members. ๐Ÿš€ Do you think there's a chance of including more gamified features in the future? ๐Ÿ’ญ It'd be super cool to see more diverse ways of earning/redeeming points. ๐ŸŽฎ Let me know your thoughts! ๐Ÿ’ญ
Austin Armstrong
HI dear friends, FREE Product Launching Today: https://www.producthunt.com/post... Hope you can check it out! It would be great to get your feedback in order to make this product better for everyone to use.