What does your prototyping process look like?

Alex Greene
4 replies
How do you know when to start prototyping a product? How detailed do you make your prototypes? What tools do you use?

Replies

Fede Sanchez
I usually create a Milanote board with some ideas and notes. I use it alongside pen and paper to create rough sketches. Then I jump to high fidelity design and start making iterations. I usually do a few versions and when I’m comfortable I will share with my team and after that with the developers I work with. I wish there was a better way of implementing animations and interaction design. Specially for mobile.
Rich Watson
Will give example of prototyping our web pages. First it's topic of web page, and what content and properties will be on it. Then it's a wireframe, to outline where each property will go. Then it's a rough design either made in paint or figma, to get a look and feel for how it will look when finished. Then passed off to the developer to do the front & backend on it. As for our app, it's basically the same thing. Just breaking it down to sections though so it's not so overwhelming. One feature at a time
Prototyping starts from the hypothesis. What answer are you trying to get or what idea are you trying to validate through the prototyping process? Next step is then figuring out the minimum effort we can put in to get the answer or validation. Prototyping could mean different for a lot of people - my definition is an artifact that helps you answer questions.