What do you think of the quality of most AI products?

Jeremy Toeman
11 replies
I’m curious - personally I find most are not really delivering on their promises. The point solutions seem decent, but I feel I’m spending as much time trying to make these tools do what they say they are supposed to do. Curious what others are experiencing?

Replies

Rafe Needleman
As a writer, I'm still learning how best to take advantage of the tools. I find Grammarly and Chatgpt useful as assistants. They can speed up my process, which I appreciate. I asked ChatGPT to answer your question "in the voice of Rafe Needleman," and one of the things it gave me (embedded in a wordy diatribe that I hope is NOT what I sound like) was, "It's like having a conversation with someone who's read every book in the world but never stepped outside their library." Not bad actually.
Kaushik Mukherjee
IMHO, there are no shortcuts. There has been a rush to put things out in the market powered by the magic wands underneath (the various gen ai models) Unfortunately without tight prompt engineering most solutions have a lot of rough edges, not to mention even the gen ai models underneath are only still maturing. So yes unless the use cases are straightforward or have been given enough thought one can’t leave things to the products themsleves
AmazingSylvia
I think is not that good, most product just use the GPT4 interface and then package a new product out of it. There was no core competency, so when the GPTs came out, they died.
Nico Spijker
For content writing there are a lot of very good ones out there. They obviously don't give you the final piece, but they set the foundation. Adapting it to your own writing style, making things more concise and removing clutter takes less time than writing from scratch. Overall I think it has taken my process from writing high-quality blogs (1500-2000 words) from 10-12 hours to 4-6 depending on the topic.
Jaden Hong
I think there are still not enough sharp products out there. However, once killer applications using gen AI start to emerge, the market will change.
Kyle DeSana
Agreed. I think a lot of these "GPT-wrapper" startups aren't as robust as most thought they'd be. They serve a very specific, niche purpose, which can be great in some cases. But in terms of "companies" that are built to last, that's where I think they fall short. However, that's strictly my opinion
Alex von Reiche
Feels a lot like the .com era, in where everything and anything needs "AI". Just because it has AI doesn't mean it's a good AI or that the product itself has any value.
Shajedul Karim
yeah, AI product quality is a mixed bag right now. some AI tools do the job well, especially those focused on specific tasks. but, often, there's a gap between the hype and the reality. some tools promise the moon, but you end up babysitting them to work right. it's like AI’s still finding its feet - lots of potential, but not always smooth sailing. what's your experience been like? any AI tools that lived up to the hype for you?
Richard Maxwell
@shajedulkarim_ I agree, I have asked for several refunds recently because the business promised functionality that just wasn’t there yet at a price that didn’t make sense. I think there is a fair bit of over-selling of features and benefits by some businesses that makes it hard to find the good, well-built tools that really solve problems in a new, novel way.