What do you expect from your photographer during the shoot?

Emma K.
16 replies
Many of us probably know that slightly insecure feeling when standing in front of the camera. As a photography enthusiast, I often wonder how I could make the situation as comfortable as possible. What do you expect from your photographer during the shoot? How could a photographer make the situation as relaxed and enjoyable as possible? If you are a photographer and your client feels a little insecure, then what do you do?

Replies

Aki Honkala
As a person who doesn't feel comfortable in front of the camera, I like that the photographer takes the lead and tell me what to do. Then I don't have to think how. i'm doing. Also little talking helps to ease the tension.
Aki-Petteri Hokkanen
I like talking, just enough that we can establish trust and I can be comfortable in the situtation. 😊
Emma K.
@aki_petteri_hokkanen I agree, talking is very important to make the situation more relaxed! :)
Venla KĂ€rkimaa
I'm not sure if I'm the best person to answer this question since I've always been quite comfortable in front of the camera and being photographed by you, Emma has always been a blast. BUT: I find that goofing around for a while before getting on to the more serious business helps with the insecure or even awkward feelings and builds a warmer bond between the photographer and the 'model'. However after getting a bit more comfortable it's best to get down to business so that the moment/task of being photographed doesn't drag on. When relaxed and comfortable people are at their most beautiful 😍
Emma K.
@venlakarkimaa Thank you Venla! Exactly – when people are relaxed and comfortable, they are at their most beautiful. :)
Aino Valtonen
Humor is important, I don't what the situation be too serious. Also, you feel much more comfortable when you know that the photographer is committed to making you look good and not just get over with the task.
Valtteri YlimÀki
@aino_v I agree, the humor is important and also that the photographer leads / organizes the situation is important
Aki-Petteri Hokkanen
@aino_v @vylimaki Little bit of laugh always helps to relax :)
Emma K.
@aino_v I agree! I find it very important to be really present in the situation and to show that I am here to make you feel and look good. This is also something that I could always do better.
Emma K.
@vylimaki @aki_petteri_hokkanen Totally! Life is better when you are laughing. :)
Pasi IsomÀki
Keep the conversation going to make the moment more relaxed. Also any advice in where to look, where should I keep my hands etc. etc. Always when the camera is there I feel fully aware of my body and feel clumsy or "stupid looking" xD
Emma K.
@ichibanpasi I really know the feeling of increasing self-awareness! And oh yeah, placing hands – one of the most difficult things for me as photographer too. But since I’ve have taken pictures of you, I know you’re really very natural in front of the camera. :)
Erica Y
As others have said, talking and goofing around before and during the shoot help a lot. Essentially, it’s about building trust between the photographer and the person being photographed. Complimenting when they’re doing good helps. Storytime: I got my graduation photos taken outdoors by an unknown photographer. I was very insecure, but we talked a lot which helped me relax. Then, they said that my eye and nose area was very aesthetic. It gave me confidence and I still remember the comment to this day. Maybe because it was so specific and genuinely said. The pictures turned out great as well â˜ș
Emma K.
@eeri2 Wow, thank you for sharing that! :) One word or sentence can have a huge impact. Sometimes the "smallest" things are the biggest.