What do you do when you get stuck while trying to achieve a goal?

Wilson TM
3 replies
Say you have a set goal and you get stuck. What do you do? What is the best way to navigate around that situation? How do you find a solution?

Replies

Nat
I try to turn my analytic brain off, since that isn't getting traction -- meditate, talk long walks, exercise, or listening to a podcast (perhaps in something somewhat related) that shifts my perspective. Often that helps.
Pavel Keyzik
A few things work for me. The first one is go to sleep and try to solve the problem in the morning. Usually it works pretty well. The second one is to try to explain the problem to someone. When you explain something to the person who has no idea what are you trying to accomplish, you realize that forgot a little thing in your problem and in most cases you get the solution even without help. Software engineers call rubber duck debugging 😄
Yassin Bouacherine
When I am stuck, it usually means I took the wrong turn. It's hard to come back from zero after all the time and effort put into a task. You gotta sleep on this issue, give it time and think of what's good and what's not. It might be VERY hard to do, but you gotta restart the process from zero. It might sound actually like a waste but think of it as spaghetti code. By trying out a different approach, it will go faster and smoother and you will catch up to that first time trying to achieve your goal. Sometimes I just think of thinking long enough and get to look for an easy way to tackle the problem without investing too much in it. You can also try to draw about what you are trying to achieve. Making it visual helped me a lot in targeting what was wrong with it. You can also Google and can some inspiration from others. If lucky, you could iterate some concept outside of yours and integrate that solution into yours. You gotta be flexible and not be afraid on trying out things from start to bottom! The more you practice it, the better you will be at it.