What do you do on the weekend to completely forget about business?

Sergei Petrov
49 replies
After having producthunt discussion, I found out that many of you relax on the weekends and prefer not to think about work at all. Now I'm wondering how you rest? And what's the best way to forget about work on the day off?

Replies

Shivam Thiagarajan
Engage yourself in hobbies/activities that you can get completely absorbed in. Bonus points if it's something creative like painting, music, or dance.
Gaurav Goyal
Spend time with family. Especially my 3 year old :)
Sergei Petrov
@gauravgoyal_gg oh you're lucky! I can imagine how many worries and happiness. Who is it, boy or girl?
Niko Dovidija
Yo Sergei, I find it very difficult to not think about work, even on weekends ๐Ÿ˜. Maybe it's a special case for me since me and my fiancee started a business together and spend most of our free and work time together. What this translates to on the weekends is that just a small conversation about something remotely business-related can spark a brainstorming session/debate. The most important thing for us was the mindset. Truth be told, we founders are pressuring ourselves too much sometimes I think. Not working one day does not translate to instant failure on the long term. It's that more important to create healthy work-life balance from the beginning, otherwise you will have a hard time in the long run and possibly even burn out (I had 3 already at 28 ). Set boundaries on the days you wish to relax and just not talk about work. We also enjoy working out, brisk walks, e-bike riding in the woods, and going out for a cocktail or two (or three) to name a few.
Sergei Petrov
@niko_dovidija Hey. It's true, self-pressure is a big problem for founders. Another thing is that the constant stress of the brain reduces activity and productivity. That is, I work a lot, but it seems that I need to work even harder and harder. Now I'm trying to change my approach and start fighting for productivity. And I will try to give myself more rest instead of procrastination.
Niko Dovidija
@sergeipetrov Yup, all part of the journey. Humans have this tendency of making stuff difficult for ourselves ๐Ÿค–
1. Review your week 2. Spend time learning new stuff. Maybe have a goal to do 1 MOOC every weekend. 3. Do nothing. Flow with the thoughts
Sergei Petrov
@falak_sher cool! What are you learning now?
@sergeipetrov LinkedIn offered 20 popular courses for free until August 31. I did 2 of them and plan to do 2 more atleast.
Sergei Petrov
@falak_sher Oh, can you share the link here? I think a lot of people will be interested.
Rich Watson
Netflix, podcasts, youtube
Sergei Petrov
@richw Good choice.. but what about physical activity? ๐Ÿ˜„
Sergei Petrov
@richw Oh, I like it too. Except for motocross. This year I broke my collarbone in a fall off a motorcycle.๐Ÿ˜…
Rich Watson
@sergeipetrov OUCH. yeah it's a dangerous sport or hobby. have yet to break any bones, just gashes and cuts. my brother broke his sternum one time
Denis Pimenov
I work on weekends. We need to arrange some kind of force majeure to forget about work ๐Ÿ˜
Sergei Petrov
@new_user_11620223ff4de5436 oh, it's better not to pull to force majeure. Otherwise, you may end up losing. It is worth giving yourself a break or at least changing the type of activity.
Stas Voronov
I think spending time on nature is the best option to switch a focus But sometimes just walking in the city and eating food also works great :)
Sergei Petrov
@stas_voronov definitely. This is how I spent my Saturday. We went fishing and looking for mushrooms. 100 km from the city and no mobile connection. Was great!
Irina Kurgeeva
The best is when I manage to go climbing and then to meet my friends, so my mind has to switch to other things. Traveling to new places helps a lot too.
Sergei Petrov
@irina_kurgeeva I love climbing! Especially bouldering. And what do you like more?
Sergei Petrov
@irina_kurgeeva The last time I climbed with a rope was this winter, before I broke my collarbone in a fall off my motorbike. But now a little more time to work. ๐Ÿ˜…
I am a big movie buff. I watch at least one movie every weekend. Sometimes I go to the cinema; sometimes I watch it at home. I also like going on a picnic with my family. Believe me, it is an excellent refresher.
Sergei Petrov
@ali_shaheen Yes, I agree about the picnic. And yes, I love movies. ๐Ÿ˜„ What was the last movie you watched?
Anoir Houmou
Hi Sergei, I hope to find the answer to your questions soon ๐Ÿ˜…
JDS
Family, Surfing, Cycling, Cooking. In that order.
Geri Mรกtรฉ
Do stuff I neglect in the weekdays lol Chores, swimming, meeting friends, etc
Launching soon!
I spend my time with family, and sometimes we pay a visit to some relatives or friends.
Sergei Petrov
@qudsia_ali And what is the most powerful thing to not think about work? ๐Ÿ˜„
Sergei Petrov
@qudsia_ali I agree. These things are very important, family and loved ones will always support, it's good when they are around!
Alex Robinson
There are a few things I like to do to forget about business during the weekend. I like to spend time with my family and friends, go on hikes or nature walks, read books that have nothing to do with work, or watch movies.
Naomi Chao
Sleep like my life depends on it. Set my alarm, wake up, then go back to sleep. Best part of my weekends for sure.
Sergei Petrov
@naomichao Sleep is exactly what I miss. I don't fall asleep very well and often wake up before my alarm. Then I want to sleep during the day.
Richard Chlenov
I like to ride a bike, it's very good to get rid of thoughts of work
Sergei Petrov
@richard_chlenov yes, I can understand you. Be careful not to drive fast in the rain. ๐Ÿ™ I broke my collarbone like that.