What do you dislike most about AWS?

Alex Sima
12 replies
I’ve gotten increasingly frustrated with the AWS documentation the more I use the platform. If you’ve ever used it you’ll know that it stinks! The documentation is criminally verbose, lacks clear examples, and even finding the right pages is much easier said than done. I’d love to know from the Product Hunt community: what do you dislike the most about AWS?

Replies

Luke Button
Honestly it’s the UI for me and how inconsistent it is
Alex Sima
@luke_button I've heard this was intentional from the early days (Bezos' pizza rule) but as the company has scaled the downsides are definitely quite apparent
Alex Sima
PS. I launched AWS Docs GPT on PH today to help remedy the problems I had with their documentation. Would love to hear your feedback!
Uma Venugopal
I feel you. I shifted to GCP after spending a good time with their documentation and lack of tech support for "free" accounts. Undoubtedly the learning curve is steep and while they have a service for every type of application, it can be ridiculously confusing at times. And don't get me started on the costs.
Alex Sima
@uma_venugopal Was cost the main reason for switching to GCP?
Uma Venugopal
@alex_sima26 one of the main reasons, yes. A friend of mine ended up paying $4000+ one month because he'd forgotten to "turn off/stop" some services. And while they claim that it's a pay-as-you-go model, this 4k bill doesn't justify his nightmare situation if he was not using it and the AWS team quoted that as the reason. It was actually he who warned me and suggested I make the shift to gcp.
Alex Sima
@uma_venugopal I've heard that story too many times. Especially with people on the "free tier" who go over the free limit and get hit with big bills. Especially a problem as billing data lags a day behind
Ryan Tando - Dezbor.com
The UI and Docs
Shreyas Iyer
The pricing. I have to agree with everyone else that the docs and UI are terrible, but their 1-day lagging pricing feels very problematic to me. Basically, you get billed on usage (fair enough), but you don't know how much you're getting billed for the current day until the next day. In other words, if I accidentally turn on a massive resource today, it won't show up in my bill until midday tomorrow, at which point I might be on the hook for hundreds/thousands of dollars. In my experience, most AWS billing horror stories are the result of this, and it's still the same 😢
Alex Sima
@shreyasiyer that's a fair point and explains why there are so many horror stories around AWS billing.
shruti singh
 If you want to excel in the field of AWS You can enroll in one of the best AWS course in Pune which is provided by a very renowned institute, SevenMentor. It is considered as one of the best training providers in Pune. Visit- https://www.sevenmentor.com/amaz...