What book has caused the biggest behaviour changes in your life?

Carter Michael
11 replies
I really like the saying that if you read a self-development book, or any book teaching you something that you hope to use - but you do nothing with what you learned. Then you didn't get anything from the book. After hearing this, it made me a lot more mindful when reading and a lot more active in applying what I've learned. So what books have you read that have made the biggest impact on your life?

Replies

Molly Chopps
I could name many books. It was really hard to choose a certain one. But I think it's a book called The Trial by Franz Kafka. I am currently trying to write my second book myself. To do this, I found the thesis statement generator, sometimes I use https://edubirdie.com/thesis-sta... for this. It's hard to come up with something. Sometimes nothing comes to mind at all. But the writing process must be completed.
Joseph Natoli
Hey Carter πŸ‘‹, One book that made a big impact on me is Name of the Wind. It's not self development, it's fiction of the fantasy genre. However the writing style and story telling was quite disruptive to traditional fantasy stories and tropes. The story itself is not finished yet, but it is still worth a read. For self-improvement, there is so much out there and most of it says the same stuff in different ways. Find something that resonates with you apply it to your life and circumstance.
Carter Michael
@joseph_natoli Adding it to my list! As for what you said about self-development you couldn't be more right. For marketing especially, most of the books I've read on it became incredibly repeatable after 2-3 reads. Going as for as to all reference the same studies, it became a lot more of a chore to finish a book once I made that realization. Thanks for the recommendation again - sounds great!
Joseph Natoli
@carter_barnett You are welcome! For something a little bit different, and not the usual self-development stuff, I would recommend the 2 book combo of 'The Game' and 'The Truth' by Neil Strauss. You may know the first book (The Game) as it exploded the internet by exposing the underground group of Pickup Artists, and unfortunately I think laid the groundwork for the modern rise of misogyny and alpha male stuff. Then, ironically, in the second book 'The Truth', the author exposes his own struggle with his newly found pickup artist skills, diving into complicated and sometimes weird therapy to try and recover from his sex addiction. I would not recommend one book without the other, as the whole journey is quite a ride. You'll also learn about many different types of therapy out there to continue any self-development adventures or get real help if needed.
Carter Michael
@joseph_natoli I've actually been recommended The Game previously but under the angle of it being an autobiography of the guy (Neil) who was in the middle of this pickup-misogynistic culture. Reading the book under that context I found it super interesting but I get a lot of people to read the book as a how-to guide. I'll check out The Truth as I found his writing style to be super vulnerable so I can only imagine him diving more into the negatives of his journey to be fascinating.
Joseph Natoli
@carter_barnett haha awesome that you know it and like Neil's writing style. I think that context is a good way of presenting it to new readers, and what Neil kind of intended (imo) more than a manual of how to get laid. Enjoy The Truth if you end up reading it! πŸ‘‹
Carter Michael
@joseph_natoli I also got much more of a "pulling back the curtain" on the "lifestyle" versus a how-to manual intention. But, consumers really pushed a different narrative on that book which I suppose could be expected with how prevalent he apparently was in the that type of community. Thanks again for the recommendations!
Is it sad that it's still Harry Potter? :D maybe i should start adulting more